• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Burger bar was it miss sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burger bar was it miss sold

Two friends of mine purchased a burger bar, the purchase price was £15,000.00, they also spent around £3,000.00 on signs and a small jacket potato machine, the owner of the land supplies the electricity.

The original owner showed them how he keeps a tab on the electricity, a reading is taken at the start of the month and at the end of the month, they are charged £0.67ph.
    The owner then showed how he keeps details of each month i.e. January 400 x £0.67= £268.00.which would be £88.00 at £0.22kwph
    they did not question the rate they thought that was the business rate.
    Two months ago while speaking to one of their mates the cost of electricity was raised £0.67kwph and were told that was very expensive, the owners then contacted a supplier who would charge them £ 0.22kwph.
    The landlord is charging £0.67 kwph, basically overcharging, if they get their own electricity the landlord will increase the rent from £80.00 a month to £300.00 a month, although the burger van is doing well the person running it does not like being there, the trouble is if a byers asked how much is the cost of electric per month they have to be honest and the person will not purchase the place.
    The previous owner was not pleased that they had hiked the rates up, they had been informed of that by a person on the industrial estate, which is why he wanted to sell..
    What can they do, they think they have been miss-sold,

Tags: None

Unlike domestic property electricity can be commercially resold at a price determined by the landlord as far as I am aware. 0.22 would be extremely cheap...

Comment

It sounds like they are being charged the rate they were told it would be - £0.67. In that case they weren't mis sold they have got exactly what they agreed to buy. It was their responsibility to decide whether £0.67 was cheap or expensive and whether they were willing to pay it.
      Last edited by PallasAthena; 8th September 2024, 11:00:AM.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

https://businessdebtline.org/fact-sh...0for%20renewal.

Comment

Interesting - the view re commercial energy seems to be different on various websites. Domestic of course the LL cannot charge more than billed.

Comment

The best thing might be to contact the local Council, they will have a business enterprise department or similar. Explain the issue, they should provide a way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
              Unlike domestic property electricity can be commercially resold at a price determined by the landlord as far as I am aware. 0.22 would be extremely cheap...
              Well i have been told differently that its illegal for a landlord to charge more that what he pays for it, will phone national grid find out.

Comment

Interesting - the view re commercial energy seems to be different on various websites. Domestic of course the LL cannot charge more than billed.
                Yes i will do that, they believed it to be £0.67kwph, they had never paid business electric rates prior to that so they accepted it has factual while n reality it was a lie.

Comment

It is cheap i will check to verify, the fact is they where told by the person selling the burger van it was £0.67 if they had been told the truth that the landlord is charging more that what he is paying they would not have purchased it.

Comment

Originally posted by Achmed View Post

Well i have been told differently that its illegal for a landlord to charge more that what he pays for it, will phone national grid find out.
                    It is illegal for a residential landlord to charge more than they pay I agree. Commercial I am not so sure. 0.22 seems unrealistic (speaking as someone who buys a lot of electricity and fixes prices)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X