• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My hedge is making my neighbours post and wire fence post lean over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hedge is making my neighbours post and wire fence post lean over

Hello, My hedge forms a boundary between my neighbours garden and mine. About 4 years ago they installed their own post and rail fence which runs parallel to the hedge. I think they put their fence up mainly to stop their dogs from getting through the hedge into my garden, at the bottom half of their fence they put chicken wire type panels to stop their dogs from escaping.
    The other day they asked if they could come into my garden and check part of their fence to try to push it back as it was leaning and coming away from the main post, over the years my hedge had overgrown on their side and had become tangled in their fence, and so one part of their fence was pushed by the hedge and leans slightly. There was no way they would be able to do anything to their fence without the removal of a small part of my hedge.
    I spent a couple of hours cutting back my hedge at the site of their leaning fence post and now their fence post is free of branches and dead wood, so they can now mend their fence by pushing it back into position and nailing it back.
    Unfortunately by removing my hedge, there is now a gap, of about 1 .5 feet, I can now see right through into their garden, and so their dogs will be able to get through into my garden, I wrongly assumed that their chicken wire panels ran all the way along the bottom of their fence, but they must stop half way along.
    My question is this: When they initially spoke to me, they strongly suggested that it is my responsibility to mend their fence as it was my hedge that caused the post to lean. But... in the past I have always asked them if they would like me to cut their side of the hedge and they have always said no, they will do it.
    Am I now responsible for anything?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X