• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

should loan or lender be regulated in any way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should loan or lender be regulated in any way?

My question to the group is does a loan I took out in 2015 fall under any regulation? Should the lender have been registered/regulated or any other? No assessment was carried out as to my affordability etc.
    Pertinent points:
    I borrowed in my own personal name (not as a company)
    The lender was a Limited company
    The loan started in 2015
    The lender may historically have lent money to others
    No due diligence was carried out on the lenders part
    The loan was by way of mortgage first charge on a property I did not intend to live in
    The lender was charging interest above standard or open market rates
    I borrowed £475,000 from a limited company in my own name against a property that I did not intend to live in.
    The loan agreement I have since found out was never signed by the lender
    The loan was in February 2015 for £475k secured as a first charge mortgage on the property
    The initial term 12 months for 20% accrued interest
    At the end of the first year as I had not sold the property, a verbal arrangement was made to continue the loan at the same rate of 20%. Nothing was formally put in writing.
    At the end of the second year the lender reduced the interest to 7% again nothing formally in writing
    This continued until January 2023 when I secured a new mortgage on the property.
    When I went to redeem the mortgage, the lender stated I owed circa 1.1 million which rose within a month to 1.2 million.
    My question would be (as I do not know if he has a history of lending) if this was a one-off loan should this lending have met some guidelines? (He was FCA regulated prior to this loan)
    Nothing was signed or put in writing for the loan after the first 12 months.
    The company he has used to lend the money is not set up for such a purpose.
    I paid all the money raised from the new mortgage to him as it was the only way he would agree to release the first charge. He tried to bully me into signing a new loan for circa £400k for the balance of interest he believes I owe him and said as a gesture of good will he would not charge me interest on it.
    Does this loan fall under any regulations?

Tags: None

Purpose of loan, please.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The loan was to replace a previous loan that was in place that had expired /needed paying back.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        Purpose of loan, please.
        The loan was to replace a previous loan that was in place that had expired /needed paying back.

Comment

This is possibly a consumer loan. Others may be able to comment further.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X