• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cease & Desist letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cease & Desist letter

Hi, I'm wondering if I could receive some initial advice on a cease & desist letter I have recieved. The dispute is over barnd, copyright UK IP
    Tags: None

Welcome to the forum.

Please explain the position and ask your questions.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Basically, in the nutshell. My company name is Tractivate and I sell pet trackers through Amazon (Started June 24) A larger, more established company (Tractive) have sent me a cease and desist letter with a series of demands. I have the word "Tractivate" UK00004013143 registered with the UK IPO

Both Tractiavte & Tractive mainly sell pet trackers

Whilst I understand the names are similar, they are claiming that I am benefiting from their brand and confusing customers

Comment

From a quick look at the websites of the two companies Tractive appears to be an Austrian company, Tractive GmbH. Is this the company which has sent you the C&D letter?

Is this the website of the Tractive company that has sent the C&D letter? Tractive GPS Tracker for Cats and Dogs with Activity Monitoring | Tractive

Is this your website, Tractivate? Smart Pet Tracking Device | Tractivate

I'm am not qualified to comment on whether they could confuse potential customers in a legal intellectual properrty sense but I have to say that as an average pet owner and member of the public the two sites seem very similar to me. From the respective Amazon pages the two products look to be identical in appearance.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks for this.

Am I in a posiiton to go back and negotiate or not?

Comment

You do not say the grounds of the complaint against you. I am guessing that your company may be accused of "passing off", that is trading under a name that is confusingly similar with the complainant. From what you say, Tractive may well have a point.

Can you afford a fight against a larger company? By all means try to negotiate, but you may find that the other party's lawyers take a very hard-nosed stance.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X