• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court representation litigant in person

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court representation litigant in person

Hello, As LiP, my questino is can I represent my self in court and question the Defence witnesses or do I have to seek a legal representative to do this for me. (if so I'm snookered and have a feeling it's going to be thrown out of court) Also, what happens if it get struck off, do I pay all of the legal fees the defence has racked up so far? (approx 40k)
    Tags: None

Yes you can represent yourself at any hearing
    At the hearing a LIP must not fall into the trap of emotional bias. He or she should keep calm, take deep breaths in between verbal statements and present their statement of case effectively
    Have questions prepared to cross examine the other party and make clear notes of their answers.
    Reading your previous posts you have put a lot of time and effort into your claim
    Why are you now not so confident?
    Have you considered insurance to cover the defendant's legal costs in the event you lose in court? This has to be worth enquiring about to find out the premium cost and exclusions/conditions/excess

Comment

atticus has advised you on your previous threads.. Look at the link in the footer line of his posts which takes you to the guidance for LiPs in court. Chapter 16 in it deals with what happens at the trial itself.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

If it is DV you cannot question the alleged victim - the court appoints someone

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          If it is DV you cannot question the alleged victim - the court appoints someone
          I'm not sure what DV is?

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
            Yes you can represent yourself at any hearing
            At the hearing a LIP must not fall into the trap of emotional bias. He or she should keep calm, take deep breaths in between verbal statements and present their statement of case effectively
            Have questions prepared to cross examine the other party and make clear notes of their answers.
            Reading your previous posts you have put a lot of time and effort into your claim
            Why are you now not so confident?
            Have you considered insurance to cover the defendant's legal costs in the event you lose in court? This has to be worth enquiring about to find out the premium cost and exclusions/conditions/excess
            The legal team are saying I have not adhered to the CPR rules, ie my witness statements not being in on time, when I had emailed them, they were accepted by the Paralegal then rejected when the main solicitor was back in the office on the Monday. I should have been told on the Friday and I could have couriered them down to them.
            They are going for a strike out on their Skeleton Argument statement.

Comment

DV = domestic violence

Comment

Are you saying the claimant's legal team have refused to accept emails and in particular emailed documents?
                Don't be bullied by the solicitor. The paralegal, an employee of the firm, accepted your emailed witness statement which was sent within the deadline
                If the solicitor makes an application for strike out, the court should give you the chance to respond

Please read the article at www.hallellis.co.uk/strike-out-applications/

A party facing the prospect of their statement of case being struck out must be given the chance to respond orally
                Last edited by Pezza54; 19th July 2024, 10:21:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X