• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Revoked insurance offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revoked insurance offer

I have recently been dealing with a third party insurer. A cement mixer destroyed 35m of 40 year old hedging on my property, when it tipped over on the adjacent road. the other party accepted full responsibility and asked us to get quotes for repair and reinstatement work. They were satisfied with the quotes after completing their own checks (not sure exactly what they did). However they wrote to us via email to confirm they were offering our suggested figure in full, and asked us to write back with account details for payment should we wish to accept. We duly did this and awaited payment. 2 days later we received an email to say they had decided against the offer and would review it. They them offered less than a 1/4 of the amount. my question here is have they not created a legally binding contract of which we have sealed by accepting the offer. So can they indeed withdraw the original offer?
    Tags: None

Can you clarify who made the offer please. Your thread title refers to "insurance offer" but your description suggests this is an offer/acceptance agreed between you and the third party. No mention of any insurance being involved.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Yes apologies - it was the third parties insurance representative that made the offer

Comment

Have the insurers explained why they "decided against the offer and would review it."?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

They simply said despite sending people to site to review and reviewing the quotes in house, they felt they wanted to have another look at it.

Comment

They have since come back with an offer which includes replacing 40 year old establish hedging (13ft high by 8ft wide) 35m in length, buy 3 year old new hedging. Our understanding under law is that they should be looking to replace like for like or as close to it as possible so as not to leave us in unnecessary disadvantage,.

Comment

It is possible that a binding contract was concluded, but I would need to see the exact wording of the insurance company's offer and your acceptance.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi do I post the wording in here or can I send it to you somehow?

Comment

here
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

andyflight10 remove anything that could identify you before posting though - names, addresses, reference numbers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X