• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming interest on a CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming interest on a CCJ

Hi its finally taken 10 years plus to receive the final payment from an attachment to a debtors pension scheme to return the £21209.00 that was taken from me. When i was granted the original CCJ i calculated the daily interest at the time and it was approximately £4. 56 / day and the judgement allowed me to charge interest.

The judge at the time stated that the full amount of interest due couldn't be calculated until the £21209 had been returned in full.

I'm due to receive the final instalment next month and hence do i need to make a new application to the court and how do i calculate the interest due. Obviously if it's calculated at the daily rate of £4.56 / day until the CCJ is repaid that will mean i'm owed a further £16,664 ?

I was told by the court the following: "the judgement stops when the attachment to earnings is issued" hence does this mean that i can only claim the interest up until the court granting me the attachment to earnings (which took about 2 years) and contradicts what the judge stated at the hearing

I asked the court for some guidance and they simply stated "seek legal advice"

Any advice would be appreciated as i don't want to waste court fees making a submission the judge throws out for being inaccurate.

TIA

RossCo
    Tags: None

Surely Tia, interest needs to be calculated on the principal amount outstanding at any time. If there have been repayments (you refer to having received the final payment) then each payment will have reduced that principal amount.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the reply, i thought that also but i cant find any detail on how its calculated or what i need to do to recover what ever is owed to me. There was also a period when there was nothing paid off the CCJ which increased the amount outstanding.

I'd also like to know what i need to do to recover the interest,

TIA (thanks in advance)

Thanks

RossCo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X