• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Limitations Act 1980

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you,Rob, much appreciated.
    The Thames Conservancy Act 1932 s60 s79,2 and 262 bestowes rights on the riverbank owner ,/occupier.
    We have title good against the world except him wit greater (paper) title.
    The conservators have admitted we own/occuoy the bank legally
    This will probably go to trial to settle it
    Thank you again, please be assured of my appreciation for your help

Comment

I hope we have helped clarify your thinking. Good luck to you.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi again.
        I wonder if we have another defence!

We are being accused of trespass under CPR55 rules. It seems to me that all mooring on the non tidal thames is strictly regulated by the Thames Conservancy Act 1932, Eg. TCA 1932 s79.

The House of Lotds decision,dated 10th Dec 1914,D&J Nicol v Dundee Harbour Trustees
        whereby it was established, it is now well settled by the judgment of this House in the appeal of this case and by subsequent decisions which this House has given, that the answer to the question whether a corporation created by statute has a particular power depends exclusively on whether that power has been expressly given to it by the statute regulating it.....

Is the EA a creature of statute? Yes!

The Government website explains

The Environment Agency is a Non Departmental Public Body established by Parliament in 1996 under the Environment act 1995.

As a creature of statute it must enforce by statute not by CPR55.

I would value your comments please.

Comment

You slightly miss the point. Statute creates the body and gives the body its powers (in this case the Environment Act 1995). The Civil Procedure Rules govern the use of court processes in exercise of those powers.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you again ATTICUS.
            I think the point is that the TCA gives the EA their power,but there is no statute to allow to remove boats from mooring over their riverbed.
            The boat removal protocol only allows them to remove boats moored TO (not over) their riverbed.
            This is inline with the right of a riparian owner to allow or disallow mooring to their land irrespective of the ownership of the riverbed.

Comment

TCA?

Comment

Thames convervancy act 1932.
                the rules of the Thames in effect

Comment

Ah, ok. You had been referring to the Environment Act 1995 as giving the Environment Agency its powers. I may be missing some nuance in your argument. If correct, you may have a defence.

Be that as it may, court proceedings are governed by the Civil Procedure Rules, even if brought under authority of statute.

Comment

IMG-20231115-WA0005.jpg

Comment

This is the EAs boat removal protocol

Comment

Thank you ATTICUS, your comments are much valued

Comment

Screenshot_20231115_190809_WhatsApp.jpg

Comment

What is it you are actually trying to achieve?
                            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, I'm looking for a defence against the charge of trespass which I know to be untrue.
                              I am lfulfilling all the legal requirements of the laws of England and Wales for adverse posession.
                              As the land I legally occupy is adjacent to the river Thames, I acquire riparian rights.
                              These rights include the right to stop others mooring to my land and I have the legal right to prosecute trespassers that enter my land without my permission.
                              No permission are required from the riverbed owner for me to moor to my land.
                              Only he with greater title (paper title or superior adverse posession) can move me from on.
                              In the mean time, I exercise freehold rights over the land,this is confirmed in writing by HM Land Registry (Land Act 2002)
                              Ipswitch Borough Council v Moore establishes that the riverbed owner has no right to stop mooring allowed by the riparian owner (Harbour authority)
                              Lord Cairns also makes this point very well .
                              lyon v Fishmongers

Comment

Just to be clear, trespass is not a criminal offence, it is a civil one so there is no 'charge'.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the authority claiming that you are trespassing if you legally own the land, so something doesn't quite add up because the authority won't just hand out trespass notices unless they have reason to believe they own the land, not yourself. There is always two sides to a story so are you able to expand on why the council thinks you are trespassing?

Is the land that you say you occupy, the land that you are claiming to own as a result of adverse possession or is that land separate to the trespass notice you have received?
                                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X