• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I was caught shoplifting. No police called but photo taken along with name address and car registration. What will happen next
    Tags: None

I should add this is in the UK

Comment

Hi JJ

Welcome to LB

Was it a UK supermarket?

Comment

Yes it was

Comment

I'm really stressing about what happens next

Comment

Say for example it was Tesco's, you would receive a speculative invoice letter from a collection agency acting on their behalf. The speculative invoice won't have a breakdown of costs. You'll receive several letters, do not pay them, read and file them away.

Update the thread if you get anything meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolene Jones View Post
              I'm really stressing about what happens next
              Hi, I expect the manager or security put the goods back on the shelf, so you owe nothing - unless you admit other occurrences. The fact the police were not called makes me think you may only get black-listed, it would cost the store too much in time and paperwork to make a civil claim in court [imo, but depends on value of goods?]. The police have too much to do than come out to stores for small item [?] shoplifters
              If you haven't heard anything after a month I would think you are just blacklisted. You could ask them for an SAR / Subject Access - this would tell you anything the store has done to start court / legal action, contacting other stores, etc, (eg copies of emails/phone calls from the store carrying your name can be sent to you; you have a legal entitlement to that)
              Last edited by girlatwork10; 8th November 2023, 20:35:PM.

Comment

Yes goods were put back on the shelf. Not something I'm proud of or will do again. Unfortunately there has been other occurrences but not stopped previously. Value of goods is under £100

Comment

I don't understand why they need my car registration. I understand photo and address

Comment

Yes goods were put back on the shelf. Not something I'm proud of or will do again. Unfortunately there has been other occurrences but not stopped previously. Value of goods is under £100
                    I think you will be OK, try not to worry, even celeb chefs have been caught nicking cheese! it wont go in the papers even if they did make a civil claim, and the coppers have better things to do !

I have taken the odd thing myself when I got sold a bad product, eg bruised fruit, and wrongly priced /ticket stuff. I dont think they can legally do anything with your car reg. Only police can do that, as far as I know.
                    They are probably entitled to hold on to your picture and your address for 6 yrs - but not wholly sure. Did thye get your birth date?

Comment

Not sure if took date of birth.

Comment

I've had a sleepless night worrying about the outcome of yesterday. I've literally been awake all night and had a bad stomach. I'm terrified of what will happen.
                        As I said the police were not called and security let me go. I was told my details would be passed onto the police. Are the police likely to visit or contact me?
                        I have learnt a hard lesson and will never make the same mistake again.
                        I appreciate the replies so far.

Comment

I've had a sleepless night worrying about the outcome of yesterday. I've literally been awake all night and had a bad stomach. I'm terrified of what will happen.
                          As I said the police were not called and security let me go. I was told my details would be passed onto the police. Are the police likely to visit or contact me?
                          I have learnt a hard lesson and will never make the same mistake again.
                          I appreciate the replies so far.
                          Try to clam down.

Nothing was taken, the supermarket has already accounted for security costs in their budgets, the police have not got the time or resources.

If you get letters, just update the thread.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

They want to frighten you so you feel bad [I can understand that in a way], but you said sorry and it isnt worth losing sleep, since you can do no more; dont make yourself ill
                              I asked God's forgiveness for my own sins of theft long ago [I was almost caught once, I regret saying], and going by that I am washed clean, free of guilt. Christ died for my sins and gave a free pardon, hope you don't mind me sharing. My prayers of peace of mind for you. Making mistakes affects us all. And it's not as if you knocked someone down in their car park! It could be much worse!
                              Take care, if we can give support you let us know
                              Last edited by girlatwork10; 10th November 2023, 16:37:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X