• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Section 75 time limits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 75 time limits

Hi, Does section 75 apply if the loan for services has been repaid?
    Tags: None

Yes. Many customers pay their credit card debit balance in full each month. They are still entitled to make a Section 75 claim provided the contract value for the services is over £100 and under £30k

Comment

What's more, if the customer paid a small deposit by credit card for a contract £29k and the services contractor defaulted then the customer can still make a S75 claim.

Comment

Perfect :-) Thank you PEZZA54

Comment

To add to this helpful thread: Please may I ask whether a claim under section 75 needs to be made before 6 years from the date of purchase? or is there no time limit as to when a section 75 claim can be made?.

This is relevant where there is a latent defect in construction e.g. of a new caravan. This defect weakens (and ultimatley cracks) the outer panels leading to damaging water ingress - which is fatal for a caravan.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryS57 View Post
            To add to this helpful thread: Please may I ask whether a claim under section 75 needs to be made before 6 years from the date of purchase? or is there no time limit as to when a section 75 claim can be made?.

This is relevant where there is a latent defect in construction e.g. of a new caravan. This defect weakens (and ultimatley cracks) the outer panels leading to damaging water ingress - which is fatal for a caravan.
            Limitation Act applies, so yes basically a 6 year time limit

Comment

Thanks for clarifying this.

Comment

Hi again, in addition to MARYS57’s question, does the limitation act still apply in the case of a breach of contract where the breach has only just been committed?

Comment

Yes, the Limitation Act 1980 applies. In cases for breach of contract, the limitation period is 6 years from the date on which the cause of action arose, this usually being the date of the breach of contract.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you ATTICUS, I think I understand. But to give the issue some context, an annual maintenance fee is paid for the benefit of a (dreaded) timeshare week at a home resort. The timeshare company has recently cancelled my maintenance payment as it intends to cancel the contract, which in theory does not finish until 2069. Under these circumstances, could I claim section 75 against the original loan provider, or do I have to pursue a breach of contract with the timeshare company? The loan was repaid over 20 years ago, but I still have the loan agreement details which was sold as part of the timeshare agreement. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

this calls for professional advice
                      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X