• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car loan and credit card debt in UAE 14 years old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car loan and credit card debt in UAE 14 years old

I lived in Dubai briefly from Sept 2008 to approx April,

I had a car which I gave to a fellow country man to pay and use but seemingly he didn't, I also had a credit card which I had to use to survive in Dubai when work dried up in 2009. The combined total is 180,000 dirhams which is approx 40k sterling.

I recently had a letter from Judge and Priestley Solicitors looking to recoup the debt after some 14 years. I confirmed who I was and where I lived.

I offered 10k payment and they told me they would offer it to Emirates bank and get back to me with an answer.

Two days later I had a letter from them stating I had 7 days to pay in full, I honestly don't have the money.

What should I do, any advice is welcome
    Tags: None

Hi MICKF

Welcome to LB

I don't think you should have offered the £10k, was that to be raised from family and friends?

I think you should of asked for copies of the documents and breakdown of the debt,
    Having admitted the debt It now becomes difficult for you to defend the claim if they take you to Court.

Any Court will only ask you to pay what you can reasonably afford each month, if that's £1, so be it.

Here is some info - https://idrww.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Comment

done

Ignore spam nonsense.

Comment

Spammer banned and post deleted
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
          Spammer banned and post deleted
          ULA Any chance you could edit Echat’s post to remove the spam link from the quoted text?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Huxie View Post

ULA Any chance you could edit Echat’s post to remove the spam link from the quoted text?

Cheers.
            done

Comment

Thanks echat11 and Huxie hopefully we have closed this spammer down.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                Hi MICKF

Welcome to LB

I don't think you should have offered the £10k, was that to be raised from family and friends?

I think you should of asked for copies of the documents and breakdown of the debt,
                Having admitted the debt It now becomes difficult for you to defend the claim if they take you to Court.

Any Court will only ask you to pay what you can reasonably afford each month, if that's £1, so be it.

Here is some info - https://idrww.com/frequently-asked-questions/
                I did ask for a break down of statements of debt but what I got was 3 colums on the page which have accumulated a lot of interest over the 14 or so years its being outstanding. I also received a letter giving me 7 days to clear the debt.

I honestly don't know what to do should I be worried or can they put a CCJ in place for the funds. I don't want Bailiff's knocking on the door to play their tactics.

Open to suggestions.

Comment

a) I did ask for a break down of statements of debt but what I got was 3 colums on the page which have accumulated a lot of interest over the 14 or so years its being outstanding.

Have you got a copy of the agreement? Did you read the link? You need more then a 3 column page.

b) I also received a letter giving me 7 days to clear the debt.

You can't clear the debt, so I think you need to see what they do next. They need to follow pre-action protocols, i.e. Letter Before Action etc.

c) I honestly don't know what to do should I be worried or can they put a CCJ in place for the funds. I don't want Bailiff's knocking on the door to play their tactics.

You are a long way off a CCJ, providing you haven't had a Judgment made against you by the Court. You only get a CCJ if you ignore the Court Judgement. As for bailiffs, there is no Court Judgement / orders yet.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                    a) I did ask for a break down of statements of debt but what I got was 3 colums on the page which have accumulated a lot of interest over the 14 or so years its being outstanding.

Have you got a copy of the agreement? Did you read the link? You need more then a 3 column page.

b) I also received a letter giving me 7 days to clear the debt.

You can't clear the debt, so I think you need to see what they do next. They need to follow pre-action protocols, i.e. Letter Before Action etc.

c) I honestly don't know what to do should I be worried or can they put a CCJ in place for the funds. I don't want Bailiff's knocking on the door to play their tactics.

You are a long way off a CCJ, providing you haven't had a Judgment made against you by the Court. You only get a CCJ if you ignore the Court Judgement. As for bailiffs, there is no Court Judgement / orders yet.
                    I don't have a copy of the agreement, I also asked did they buy the debt but he said they have been instructed on behalf of their client emirates bank, I have had no other conformation from them or correspondence since the 7 day notice last week.

So I guess its a waiting game now, as for the offer of 10k I have heard nothing back on the since I offered it last week only the 7 day pay in full notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickf View Post

I don't have a copy of the agreement, I also asked did they buy the debt but he said they have been instructed on behalf of their client emirates bank, I have had no other conformation from them or correspondence since the 7 day notice last week.

So I guess its a waiting game now, as for the offer of 10k I have heard nothing back on the since I offered it last week only the 7 day pay in full notice.
                      Update the thread when they make contact.

You want them to provide you with a copy of the agreement, before you offer anything. See what they send. No doubt the interest is 'nonsense'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X