• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Insurance - Multi car Policy - Main Driver and Named Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance - Multi car Policy - Main Driver and Named Driver

Hello ,

I have bought a new car . I have applied for car insurance which was all gone through. but underwriters chasing me to apply a fault claim.

Background :

Previously , In 2022 - we have 2 cars under one policy - My husband's took the policy,
    For one car - My husband is main driver and i am named driver
    For 2nd car - I am main driver and my husband is named driver.

Both the above cars are under one policy and My husband is main policy holder.

Now, Husband unfortunately had a major accident in my car - car was written off. He claimed under the policy. He was named driver on that car , I was not present in the car . Policy was in his name , but he added me as the main driver of that second small car and i have No claims Discount on that car.

We had one car for few months.
    Now i bought another car . I applied for insurance - its quoted 460£ per year. But under writers wrote to me saying there has been a claim against my name in CUE (claims and underwriting exchange Database) which says im the policy holder.
    They ask me to pay 170£ extra and add the Fault occurred to the application.

Please can some one help me understand and fight - because we believe - The accident has happened , my husband was involved. Policy is under husbands name. he is named driver, while im the main driver of the car and i share No claims discount. But i was not responsible for policy , accident or claim. Why do i need to add this ? is this all legally sounding correct?
    I hope one can help me understand.

I wanted to write to underwriters that this is very unfair and as they threatened to cancel my policy if i dont pay , i wanted to complain against them and cancel policy myself and purchase else where.
    Am i thinking correctly or am i missing or not understanding anything.

I believe this is a good place to post.
    Hence posted and now look forward for your reply. Hope some in same situation or some one who has knowledge of such things or one knows law can help.

Regards
    BD
    Tags: None

Bear in mind that a No Claims discount is only discretionary.

You state " i share No claims discount".
    Not certain what that means (copy of policy wording might help) but if you share the discount, presumably you also share in its diminution.

You also state "i was not responsible for policy" and ". Policy was in his name" so how do you earn a No claims Discount anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Bear in mind that a No Claims discount is only discretionary.

You state " i share No claims discount".
      Not certain what that means (copy of policy wording might help) but if you share the discount, presumably you also share in its diminution.

You also state "i was not responsible for policy" and ". Policy was in his name" so how do you earn a No claims Discount anyway?
      Hi Des8 ,

Thank you somuch for the Reply. I will google for more information. It never occurred to me .

So If i have no claims discount , then does it implies the insurance is in my name? Because , when we call the insurance team for any information, They say , the Main Policy holder is my husband and asks to confirm the main policy holder name as a security.

I am the main driver of the car , My husband is the named driver . I assumed i got NCD as im the main driver though i was not the policy holder.

Quick Question : So if i am the main driver of a car and if i am gaining the NCD of the car , and the car is involved in accident by named driver and though im not present , and also the policy isnt in my name , Do I still need to have the accident on my record?

Thank you in advance

Comment

I don't know the answer to your questions

I left the Insurance business some years ago and practice might have moved on.
        When I was broking only the named policy holder could earn a NCD, although some insurers would allow named drivers a new business discount based on their driving experience when taking out a policy in their own name.

Practice might have changed.
        Possibly named drivers on a multi car policy can "earn" their own NCD.
        If that section of the policy on which they are named as main driver is regarded as a separate policy, they could possibly earn NCD.
        So if a claim is made on that section, even if the main driver was not involved in the incident giving rise to the claim, then
        any NCD the main driver might have would be affected

Comment

Thank you DES8 for taking time and replying. I dont know why but i feel that it's not fair . I just need to accept thats how it is though. Thats what i read on google toooooo . Now i know . Wish i had a super power to change the rules

Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X