• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Facing the biggest defamation damages in the history of the UK courts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing the biggest defamation damages in the history of the UK courts

Hi everyone,

The above is my claim to fame!

I've joined LB to create awareness of my case, support others who are facing legal action, and help create awareness of the dangers of "wealth creation" gurus who infest social media with promises of "get rich quick".

I have been involved in consumer protection in the property sector for over a decade and am now facing £5.4million in alleged damages for fact-checking a property guru.

I have received tremendous support from the Free Speech Union and Index On Censorship and I hope the LB community can get behind me as well.

My case was also featured in the Guardian along with another defamation case the claimant is bringing against members of a facebook group that was set up to help people make wise choices about paying for expensive property training courses https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-10000-courses

This is very brave of the Guardian, as the claimant is highly litigious and threatens legal action against anyone who's views he does not like.

He also creates harassing videos about people who stand up to him - he's made over a dozen malicious videos about me trying to discredit me and get me cancelled from the sector. It's been four years of immense stress and anxiety for me since he started his campaign against me.

This will prove to be a landmark case for freedom of speech in the public interest, so stay tuned!
    Last edited by VanessaW; 19th July 2023, 11:08:AM.
    Tags: None

Wow - a fascinationg read. Presumably he will have to prove it though?

Comment

Thank you for your interest. Yes, he will have to prove it and I have to defend myself. We are still in the early stages, but my legal bill is currently about £130K.

Anything anyone says can be deemed defamatory and they can be dragged through the courts for it. I could say "John Smith has a big nose" and he could sue me for defamation, even though it's my opinion and I am entitled to hold it in law - but I can still face High Court proceedings and spend a fortune to get my defence in front of a judge at trial.

Defamation proceedings are under scrutiny because of this.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and for coming here and raising awareness of this issue. I will certainly be following this case with a huge amount of interest. You are brave and inspiring.

Comment

That is very kind of you to say! I really appreciate your interest and support.

This recent podcast I did gives some further insights into my case:

https://youtu.be/-HzZUQa9gWw

Comment

Originally posted by VanessaW View Post
            Thank you for your interest. Yes, he will have to prove it and I have to defend myself. We are still in the early stages, but my legal bill is currently about £130K.

Anything anyone says can be deemed defamatory and they can be dragged through the courts for it. I could say "John Smith has a big nose" and he could sue me for defamation, even though it's my opinion and I am entitled to hold it in law - but I can still face High Court proceedings and spend a fortune to get my defence in front of a judge at trial.

Defamation proceedings are under scrutiny because of this.
            There is quite a lot you can say without it being 'defamatory', a lot of it has been 'tested' in Courts already.

So there is a lot of 'case law' out there already.

Have you checked with Trading Standards to see what reports they have.

Also it might be an idea to start a 'Go Fund' thing.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

There is quite a lot you can say without it being 'defamatory', a lot of it has been 'tested' in Courts already.

So there is a lot of 'case law' out there already.

Have you checked with Trading Standards to see what reports they have.

Also it might be an idea to start a 'Go Fund' thing.
              Thanks for your comment. I was trying to explain in wax crayon why defamation law needs revising.

Even if a comment is defamatory, there are a number of defences that can be used - the strongest being "truth".

I have got a CrowdJustice page, and that has been a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by VanessaW View Post
                Hi everyone,

The above is my claim to fame!

I've joined LB to create awareness of my case, support others who are facing legal action, and help create awareness of the dangers of "wealth creation" gurus who infest social media with promises of "get rich quick".

I have been involved in consumer protection in the property sector for over a decade and am now facing £5.4million in alleged damages for fact-checking a property guru.

I have received tremendous support from the Free Speech Union and Index On Censorship and I hope the LB community can get behind me as well.

My case was also featured in the Guardian along with another defamation case the claimant is bringing against members of a facebook group that was set up to help people make wise choices about paying for expensive property training courses https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-10000-courses

This is very brave of the Guardian, as the claimant is highly litigious and threatens legal action against anyone who's views he does not like.

He also creates harassing videos about people who stand up to him - he's made over a dozen malicious videos about me trying to discredit me and get me cancelled from the sector. It's been four years of immense stress and anxiety for me since he started his campaign against me.

This will prove to be a landmark case for freedom of speech in the public interest, so stay tuned!
                I do not want to hijack your post in anyway other that to show solidarity in your case as I have also had a defamation case against me for leaving a negative review on Trustpilot regarding a service that I received.

Comment

Originally posted by Torrent2000 View Post

I do not want to hijack your post in anyway other that to show solidarity in your case as I have also had a defamation case against me for leaving a negative review on Trustpilot regarding a service that I received.
                  Thank you so much for posting and , coincidentally, I just saw your case. I am going to reply on your thread now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X