• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMRC claiming employment expenses back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if you don't understand that now, why did you think it was OK then? Sorry to ask but it seems an odd situation. My view is you will have to pay it back but the circumstances mean the revenue will probably give you time to do so by installments - that is what I would be asking for

Comment

I thought I might be asked that. We (my husband) was not informed what they were claiming for and actually when I questioned him about it, he said to me, he wasnt sure but they are professionals, they know what they are doing and have done it for lots of his collegues in work, even saying he was sure they will ask him for anything if they need it.

With regard to paying back over time, hmrc gave my husband until 12th of August...we only got the letter today and then when he called them, they offered an unrealistic 4 months.
      then told him he had to appeal for longer time.

It's all really quite aweful. We are really struggling as it is to keep our head above water. We offered to pay via credit card which would allow us to pay back in a time frame convenient to us interest free and they don't accept credit cards. They state they don't want to put us in financial hardship but are charging 7.5% a day whilst it continues to be unpaid....
      Honestly, this sort thing drives people over the edge. They wrote to us in February stating they was do a check, and they would write to us within 4 weeks to confirm what we owe. We explained everything to them then about the company. It's taken them until now to get back to us to let us know how much we owe, all the while my husband has contacted them on several occasions asking them how much it is, how long will it take to get back to us confirming etc. HMRC kept telling us they were short staffed, one excuse after the other, meanwhile more and more interest, nearly 4 months worth. Honestly I could scream.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this. You were scammed by the company and it is a shame that HMRC are not more understanding about allowing time to pay. I would certainly appeal for more time and for the removal of interest. I would set everything out in the appeal - make sure the debt is put on hold whilst the appeal proceeds. I sincerely hope someone here has a better suggestion for you

Comment

Thank you, islandgirl I do appreciate your help and understanding. We will do as you suggest regarding the appeal letter.

Comment

You could do worse than going to see your MP Apostle Accounting: MPs meet with HMRC over tax scandal - BBC News

HMRC need to cut you some slack in my view. Tax reclaim companies are the new PPI claims management scandal, except they're totally (and hopelessly) unregulated.

In your appeal letter you might want to consider quoting the HMRC spokesperson at the end of the BBC piece:

We will continue to work with those MPs on this matter, and will do everything we can to support taxpayers who engage with us to get their tax affairs in order, including offering payment plans to settle tax debts

Comment

Thank you so much EXC
              It's amazing that even though hmrc know of this company and what they have done and have publicly stated they will do everything to assist tax payers they seem to be throwing the book at us. It also seems to me that they should hold some responsibility for paying this money out. I'm pretty sure if I personally submitted a claim for whatever this company did, they'd be asking me for proof.
              this company also took 24% off of all claims from thousands of people.
              thank you again, your advice has been so helpful and appreciated.

Comment

I appreciate it is small comfort but If they do not respond to the SAR then you can report them to the ICO.

As EXC has pointed out using the BBC article to help in your appeal could help and I found the below local paper coverage which states "It has now been confirmed the tax authority will not be seeking prosecutions or imposing fines on the affected former clients." This may at least help in your appeal to HMRC for not adding any interest payments.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23535105...arket-clients/

Companies House also makes an interesting read but unfortunately not something that would help in any appeal to HMRC that I can see.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you so much, I cant tell you how much I appreciate this and hope it will help.

HMRC have set up a payment plan which will add a further £2000+ to the original amount which already had interest added to it for the duration. I feel sick but I do hope that we can get the interest taken off. I will keep you posted.
                  what an aweful state of affairs to be in, in a time where everyone is already struggling.

Thank you so much ULA

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X