• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motoring offence that did not occur

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motoring offence that did not occur

Hello

I'm new to the forum, found the site on google, and thought I would ask a question if that is OK?

The story goes:

My son, who has fully comp insurance - I know this because I arranged it all for him - borrowed his grans car. He was in a queue of traffic and the car in front stopped suddenly as it hit the car in front of her, as a result, my son hit the car - so a three car collision. He's only 20 and slightly niece to these things but he remembers the 1st car drove off, and when he spoke to the woman in the middle who he hit, she explained that she had hit the car in front, hence why she stopped suddenly. There was no damage to his car, a slight crack in the head light, and she had no damage but a small mark in the bumper.

My son, not ever being in this situation wasn't sure what to do and he spoke to the woman but didn't want to go through his insurance because of the high excess. They both agreed a road side agreement, and, as he had just been paid from work for his overtime, had cash, and paid the woman £400 in cash to settle whatever.

About a month later, he got a letter from the police saying - he did not stop at a scene of an accident, failed to report an accident and failed to drive with due care and attention - non of which happened. he can fully describe the woman, he spoke to her, she even told him her car was on lease or something.

He told the police in a written statement, and they still wanted him in for a voluntary interview. In the end after a few phone calls, we said we would come down but we would like to be sure there is a duty solicitor present. Never heard anything back, but then he got a summons in the post to got to court next month for the above charges plus a no insurance charge. But I actually know he is insured as I took it out for him!

There is no evidence of any of the other tings because it didn't happen. They have now gone round to his grandmas house and told her she has to go to court for letting him use her car, but she is really old and is very worried. But I am so unsure how this is going to court when there is no evidence of the above accusations simply because it didn't happen.

He only used his Grans car because his car had ran out of tax days before, so he didn't want to take it out, ironically, so he didn't get in trouble! However no tax is a far lesser punishment than no insurance!

What can we do in repsonse. ~We can't afford representation at court, we are going to try and defend this ourselves, but please can any one advise us as apart from saying it didn't happen and he is pleading NOT GUILTY, what should we do? He is young and doesn't want to lose his license for something that never happened, especially as he has just set up his own business. If anyone could help us, I would be so grateful and thank you in advance for reading this.

EDIT: We also think something was very off because the car that she said she hit at the front drove away?! So why is he not stopping and getting the middle woman's details?
    Tags: None

Not my area of expertise, but it might be an idea to google 'crash for cash' & 'induced accident scam'.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Regarding the "no insurance" charge Does your son's insurance certificate state he has "driving other cars" cover?
      Most unusual for a 20 year old to obtain that cover.
      Was he included on his grandmother's insurance as a named driver?

Comment

Has gran been charged with allowing car to be used?
        Can you prove that you had insurance - Des8 is absolutely correct it would be very unusual for someone so young to have "drive any car" cover. if he is a named driver on gran's insurance and you can prove that, you will be OK
        Your problem is also the cash payment. You have no proof of anything. If you had paid via the bank for example you would have some information. Were details exchanged at the scene (name and address)? I assume not. This is going to be an uphill struggle. Does he have any info at all - make of car, part of reg, details of car in front?
        My confusion is who has reported it? If it was crash for cash they got their cash...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X