• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can UK citizens to sue the Home Office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can UK citizens to sue the Home Office

I live on RAF Scampton in ex-married quarters along with about 650 others. Our local district council (which have already sent a letter before action to the home office) had secured a £300million investment plan over the last several years to utilise and preserve this historic base and to save it from the fate of many other disused military sites. The day after they announced their plan (which was made with input from all interested parties including the MOD and DEO) it was leaked that the home office plan to place 2,000 male small boat migrants in an asylum centre on the base, thus scuppering the investment plan. This was later announced in Parliament.
    Yesterday the Home Secretary made statements that these small boat migrants bring with them an increase in crime to the areas in which they are placed. This surely is unlawful? To knowingly inflict an increase in criminal activity upon a small community of 650 men, women and children? (And sadly we are not the only area that are being placed in this situation.)
    I am wondering if there is some action we can take as individuals or as a larger group to stop the HO plan from progressing or to somehow give notice that they will be held accountable should any harm come to us or our property? Can they be held accountable for the inevitable loss of value of our properties once the local crime rate goes up and the rises in insurances that will be bound to follow?
    I know that asylum seekers have protections in law and many are offered legal aid when challenging home office decisions. Is there any legal protection and legal aid offered to those in our situation?
    I’d appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer, many thanks
    Tags: None

Hi Rattus

Welcome to LB

Could you not try to get 'historic' status for the site?

That would stop any work being carried out on the site.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...y-for-listing/

Comment

Originally posted by Rattus View Post
      To knowingly inflict an increase in criminal activity upon a small community of 650 men, women and children?
      Evidence?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        Hi Rattus

Welcome to LB

Could you not try to get 'historic' status for the site?

That would stop any work being carried out on the site.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...y-for-listing/

The government say they are working with historic England. I have tried contacting them but still await a response. There are at least two listed buildings on site and the officers mess building is currently under consideration for listing also. Historic England wrote a detailed report on the site in 2004 which concluded the site had significant historical worth.

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

Evidence?
          The only evidence I have is the Home Secretary speaking the words linking small boat migrants to drug dealing, exploitation and prostitution and that they have values which are at odds with our country with heightened levels of criminality.
          one would assume she’d not make a statement like this if not true? I’m sure there is evidence to be had regarding increased crime rates where migrants are placed but I don’t know how to go about obtaining it. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Without wishing this forum to descend into polarised political disagreement, I would not make such assumptions about this minister.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Without wishing this forum to descend into polarised political disagreement, I would not make such assumptions about this minister.
              I’ve not wish for that either, I’m just trying to establish what rights we as residents have, when it comes to our safety and the preservation of our way of life.
              The issues we are facing would apply to any group of 2,000 males being placed into a small community, I just saw the home secretary’s remarks (and typed some above) as I felt this meant she is fully aware of the problems we might expect. We have had zero communication from the home office even though many have written to them. Our rights even to answers from government departments seem nonexistent.

Comment

Oh I see sorry, I misread your post

Comment

With this Government all things are possible, you can get sacked one week, then reappointed the next week in the same position.

Now, I'm not sure the great Houdini could perform that 'trick'.

Us mere mortals!!

Comment

Hi RATTUS I fully agree with your take on this and hope you stand your ground and fight.

theres twitter accounts called active patriot and one calle small boats. there prob worth looking at as they have started action at other places.
                    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
                      Hi RATTUS I fully agree with your take on this and hope you stand your ground and fight.

theres twitter accounts called active patriot and one calle small boats. there prob worth looking at as they have started action at other places.
                      Active patriot turned up on the camp on the day of the announcement in parliament and some of us residents were out speaking to the gathered press. One of AP was rude and abusive towards one resident and when I tried to talk to him wanting to take the heat out of the situation and hopefully discuss each others point of view I was just shouted down by him. I have seen the small boats one and will look into it thanks

Comment

Hi, if possible will you keep us updated on what goes on. dosent mater how much time goes by

I did notice AP and some of the people around him sometimes get snappy but, they got attacked a lot when they started a few years ago, the 'Flying Pickets' that turn up and protest anyone standing up for our rights or people trying to protect out kids/famlys, can be very nasty, including being nice to get close and then chucking stuff in there faces.

So i Guess Ap and his crew rty keep people at at distance for that reason..
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
                          Hi, if possible will you keep us updated on what goes on. dosent mater how much time goes by

I did notice AP and some of the people around him sometimes get snappy but, they got attacked a lot when they started a few years ago, the 'Flying Pickets' that turn up and protest anyone standing up for our rights or people trying to protect out kids/famlys, can be very nasty, including being nice to get close and then chucking stuff in there faces.

So i Guess Ap and his crew rty keep people at at distance for that reason..
                          To update, I’ve seen that a local resident of Wethersfield (another base in our position) one Gabriel Clarke-Holland is attempting to sue the Home Office as an individual so that answers my original query.
                          WLDC applied for and had an injunction turned down at the high court this week, as did Wethersfields local council earlier. All now await a judicial review.
                          Home Office have undertaken not to move migrants onto the base until after 3rd July.
                          RAF have made an application to remove the grave marker and remains of Guy Gibsons dog (who shall not be named!) to ensure its preservation as they feel it is at risk if it remains here.
                          I received a complete non-answer from Historic England.
                          Sending questions to the local MP and Home Office garner no response at all.
                          Lady who runs campaign group spoke to our PCC which resulted in no real answers to any of our questions, just fluff and waffle.
                          No one is talking to residents about any of this, we have been set adrift and await our fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattus View Post

To update, I’ve seen that a local resident of Wethersfield (another base in our position) one Gabriel Clarke-Holland is attempting to sue the Home Office as an individual so that answers my original query.
                            WLDC applied for and had an injunction turned down at the high court this week, as did Wethersfields local council earlier. All now await a judicial review.
                            Home Office have undertaken not to move migrants onto the base until after 3rd July.
                            RAF have made an application to remove the grave marker and remains of Guy Gibsons dog (who shall not be named!) to ensure its preservation as they feel it is at risk if it remains here.
                            I received a complete non-answer from Historic England.
                            Sending questions to the local MP and Home Office garner no response at all.
                            Lady who runs campaign group spoke to our PCC which resulted in no real answers to any of our questions, just fluff and waffle.
                            No one is talking to residents about any of this, we have been set adrift and await our fate.
                            Question, what would / could the Government do if 'homeless' people moved into the site? they would find it difficult to move them on, as they always talk about housing them.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Question, what would / could the Government do if 'homeless' people moved into the site? they would find it difficult to move them on, as they always talk about housing them.
                              It’s an interesting idea but I don’t think homeless people would like to be here, since the RAF moved out there is not even a shop! And I doubt the government would put on buses for them to go into Lincoln as they intend to do for the migrants!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X