• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal grounds to request reimbursement from guests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal grounds to request reimbursement from guests

Hello!

I have just come back from a holiday where I was the main booker and had 2 people with me, 1 who paid towards and 1 who came for free.

When I got home, I was told by the accommodation owners that the TV had been broken (looks like it has been striked tbh) and the picture has bled from the strike point so it's unusable. I have been billed and paid £437 for a replacement.

Do I have legal grounds to recover costs from each of the guests? Paid 3 ways? I definitely did not do the damage, we think we know who did, but they are obviously not admitting it and nothing was witnessed. I think it's probably reasonable to expect my guests to pay towards the bill, even without any written contract but not sure what the law would say if I went to small claims with it. The paying guest has given me 1/3 the non paying guest refuses.

Additional info and potential defense of non paying guest;

Myself and the other paying guest were dating and it ended badly on that trip. The unpaying friend witnessed some bad behaviour from mainly him, but honestly the both of us. I was baited and then one night after a day of being antagonised I asked him to leave and pushed him a few times towards the door. My friend had labelled this domestic abuse. Although the alleged abuse had nothing to do with the TV, this will be a defense. And honestly my ex's behaviour was so abbhorent that we are pretty confident he did it, even without seeing anything. We've spoken about that over WhatsApp, and when I said I need her account of him being in the accommodation alone and not behaving correctly she refused. I cannot enforce him to pay everything if we really can't prove it and without her account then it's just my word against his. Therefore I requested we all paid towards it then. Which she also labelled as blackmail.

Thoughts??
    Tags: None

I sympathise, but you seem stuck. Your liability follows from the contract, but the direct responsibiity of others to you is dependent on you being able to prove personal responsibility.
    That is apart from trying to claim just over £100 in a court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X