• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ban from Marks and Spencer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban from Marks and Spencer

Hi, I’ve been told after an incident today that I am now banned from all M&S stores.
    This was a due to ‘shoplifting’ as I had forgotten 2 items of clothing I had placed separately from food shop as to not get marked.
    I was taken into a back room with a security guard. I had no ID other than Sparks card which they accepted once I confirmed my name and address which would be on that.
    My query is around the ‘ban’. I wasn’t asked to sign anything, they haven’t taken any photo ID/ picture of me, and police not involved. I also paid in full for the items. The security guard simply handed me a sheet of paper ready printed stating details of ban. He said he was about to retire and couldn’t be bothered with how long the police would take. As they didn’t take my picture and I didn’t sign anything am I actually banned? How would they know if I went in one of their stores? I often go in to our local one with my Mum and don’t want to upset her if I have to tell her what has happened.
    Tags: None

Retailers can ban anyone with or without taking their pic!
    You are banned, but.....

Unless they have you on CCTV and are using facial recognition systems you are not likely to be recognised in any other M&S stores.
    You might be recognised in the store where the incident took place, so would probably avoid that for a few months.

If you are recognised in a store whilst the ban is in effect, all they can do is request you leave.
    If you refuse they may use sufficient force to eject you!
    If however you are caught stealing (and I am not suggesting you would) from M&S whilst banned you could be charged with burglary rather than theft

You might receive a letter from a civil recovery firm (I think M&S use DWF) requesting you pay an exorbitant sum to cover their costs.
    Altho' it will seem threatening you can ignore it.

Comment

Thank you DES8 I have seen your comments on similar posts re letter so will ignore that.
      For life just seems so extreme. I appreciate they need to be firm, but this was a genuine mistake. I go in a lot with family and whilst I can avoid for a while, I would struggle long term! Do they use face recognition in M&S? If I went in is my bank card banned if I made a purchase?

Comment

I believe some of the larger M&S stores use facial recognition systems.

I would think it unlikely that their systems would link any particular card with an individual customer, but you never know.
        Go by yourself into a different M&S store and see what happens when you present your card.

Marks seem to be closing more and more stores, so soon you might not have the opportunity to shop there except on line!

Comment

What about the Sparks card?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

ATTICUS I have deleted my Sparks card as to be honest I don’t ever want to go back in or give them my money after how I was treated.
            DES8 I live near a very large store which is always very busy so would be one they would keep open knowing my luck. I can travel 20 mins to another in a few months on my own and do a trial going in and paying, that is a great idea. Should my husband ask me to do any order I will use his card for payment to keep my name out!

Comment

You know it might be a lot less stressful to tell your husband about the incident, rather than bottling it up inside.

You made a mistake forgetting about a couple of items being kept apart from food to avoid accidental staining.
              That doesn't make you a criminal, and is nothing to be ashamed about.
              I would expect my spouse to support me if I was such a situation, as I would her.

Store security tend to over react and treat everyone as a malefactor.

Comment

It wouldn’t just be my Husband though, my Mum too as I meet her there sometimes! Just don’t want them to look at me as a disappointment or doubt any of it. I think it maybe easier to just go elsewhere and avoid going for as long as possible. My local one is a very large one, so knowing my current luck they will have the CCTV face recognition!

Comment

i think facial recognition was trailed in one or two stores, but don't know if it was installed UK wide.
                  The cost might have been prohibitive as M&S have been declining since the 1990s

Comment

Can I raise a service access request with M&S to see what they have on file for me?

Comment

If you mean a "subject access request", you could but why would you want to?

Comment

To see what info they hold on me. Would it not tell me that f the incident was actually registered? It just all felt quite flaky from security. He quickly scribbled down my name and address and said he couldn’t be bothered with it all

Comment

So i wouldn't disturb things.
                          Just let it ride, avoid that particular M&S for the time being and get on with life
                          Try not to dwell on the incident.

Comment

Just received a letter from DWF do I pay this?

Comment

As per post 2, ignore, ignore and ignore again

Seems threatening, but the only follow up will be more letters for you to ignore.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X