• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Student lease agreement - 6 sharing house. Jointly liable. 3 have pulled out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. I would do so in writing. Feel free to post up a suggested version here! You could also add at the end "you must by law provide me with the name and address of the landlord. I am formally requesting that you do so within 7 days" You could also ask (if you do not know) whether they are a member of a professional body

Comment

Well son is home this week so an update. Estate agents have now sent him a DEPOSIT INFORMATION CERTIFICATE whatever that is.

He has now said as well the Estate Agent is now refusing to discuss this with anyone. As I thought might happen, it looks like the other parties have been pushing this "of course we can just cancel the contract".

Im about to send an email and letter to them but I would not be surprised if I get ignored totally.

Comment

The deposit protection information is mandatory.

Why are you taking so long to write to the agent?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I second that. Every day counts as it is a day the agent could be relisting (although he may choose not to do so).

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            Some student estate agents are horrible - 2 kids at uni at the moment. There are usually Facebook pages advertising rooms for next academic year - get on them! Ask the Estate agent to market the spare rooms. Ask the estate agent to write to the parents of those leaving to explain their liability and to confirm when they have done so. This may be the point where a parent getting in touch with the agency makes them realize they are not dealing exclusively with the students but with someone who has some life experience!
            I know you wrote this a while ago but surely what you suggest is a breach of the DPA and GDPR. I am assuming the students are adults.

Comment

nope they are guarantors so have skin in the game! I probably meant more get the parents to write to the agency but it doesn't matter either way.

Comment

Yes I agree the guarantors have rights but only 3? had signed. Student accom is a nightmare but many universities have accommodation offices and SU welfare departments.

Comment

It is within the gift of the OP to write the letter knowing what he now knows. He has received some excellent advice on the landlord site I recommended and of course here. The longer he waits the less time there is to find new tenants so it should be done asap.

Comment

Letter went off middle of last week. By post and attached to email.
                    No reply yet and I do wonder if its going to stay like that.

My son reports that Estate Agent have told one of the other kids that its a done deal as far as they are concerned, and they won't be getting into any more discussions on the subject or answering any emails.

Comment

As advised on the other site we frequent, the Landlord must know about this. Formally request his or her details from the Agent. They are legally bound to comply. Or spend a few quid and download the deeds from the Land Registry - easy and cheap...I would then write to the LL tell them the situation and warn them that there will not be a tenancy as the students will not be moving in and that there will therefore be no rent. Tell them about the unreasonable behaviour of the agent. That is what I would do in your situation.

Comment

Why do people think that their letters to people like this letting agency must be answered immediately? Give time to read, consider, consult as necessary, deal with a hundred and one other things they have going on.

How long has it taken the OP to write his letter?
                        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                          Why do people think that their letters to people like this letting agency must be answered immediately? Give time to read, consider, consult as necessary, deal with a hundred and one other things they have going on.

How long has it taken the OP to write his letter?
                          Of course, just an update from me.

Comment

As advised on the other site we frequent, the Landlord must know about this. Formally request his or her details from the Agent. They are legally bound to comply. Or spend a few quid and download the deeds from the Land Registry - easy and cheap...I would then write to the LL tell them the situation and warn them that there will not be a tenancy as the students will not be moving in and that there will therefore be no rent. Tell them about the unreasonable behaviour of the agent. That is what I would do in your situation.
                            Yes I did this. Got the details from the Land Registry....

Trouble is hes listed his address as the property address.

Comment

Then it is back to the agent who has to legally give you contact details

Comment

Then it is back to the agent who has to legally give you contact details
                                OK - like I said I did a land registry search and it came back with a name and the address of the property itself.

I think I've found the guy - hes an accountant in the same town but of course, I cant be sure.

Can I force the Estate Agent to give out his home address?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X