• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shareholder Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shareholder Rights

Hi,

I am a shareholder in a small business (shares, not options). I have 25% of the business in shares. I have two business partners who own the rest of the shares, split between them. In the last seven years I have never seen the management accounts, P&L, balance sheet, expenses put through the company. I am wondering what am I entitled to ask to see with a 25% shareholding? The business has never been audited to date, on companies house its has 'unaudited accounts'. I want to ask to see what I am entitled to as a shareholder and would welcome any advice.
    Tags: None

an informative website for you https://www.shareholderrights.co.uk/...eholder-rights

Comment

I assume that you don't have a shareholders agreement.

s476 Companies Act 2006 gives the holders of shares amounting to 10% or more in value to require an audit. But note the conditions for exercising this pwer:
      476 Right of members to require audit

(1)The members of a company that would otherwise be entitled to exemption from audit under any of the provisions mentioned in section 475(1)(a) may by notice under this section require it to obtain an audit of its accounts for a financial year.

(2)The notice must be given by—

(a)members representing not less in total than 10% in nominal value of the company's issued share capital, or any class of it, or

(b)if the company does not have a share capital, not less than 10% in number of the members of the company.

(3)The notice may not be given before the financial year to which it relates and must be given not later than one month before the end of that year.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

A further thought. Are your shares the same class as the shares held by the 2 others?

If yes, are you receiving dividends?

If no, look at the company's Articles of Association, which you can download from Companies House. They should state the rights and powers that are attached to shares of your class.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X