• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

No Mediation but Settlement Offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mediation but Settlement Offer

So far not much luck with receiving advice, so could be my last question. Will stick to reading other peoples stories. It was very helpful so far.

So…. Mediation had to be cancelled because I did not receive requested documents under CCA.

I’ve sent letter to Debt collector asking for requested documentation or closing my account. They sent all the informations straight away along with offer of settlement (but without giving actual number).

Obviously I don’t want to go to Court so will agree.

An here is the QUESTION:
    How should I “play” it? Offer them less? Offer full amount paid in monthly plan? Any other option?
    Tags: None

Hi

Can't see how there can be a valid offer of settlement if they haven't told you the amount to settle. How you pay the agreed settlement amount is entirely up to you but it should be recorded in writing to avoid any doubt or disagreement.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hi

Can't see how there can be a valid offer of settlement if they haven't told you the amount to settle. How you pay the agreed settlement amount is entirely up to you but it should be recorded in writing to avoid any doubt or disagreement.
      I took another look at the letter. Exact words are: “We are willing to consider an affordable repayment plant towards settlement of the claim. If you wish to put forward a proposal we ask that you please complete financial statement”.

Is the current balance of debt opened to negotiation? Or do they just ask me to pay it all by paying monthly?

This legal jargon is doing my head in.

Comment

Personally, I would want to know first what their settlement offer is ?.I would not make an offer. negotiate from there. It is their fault that the documents were not forthcoming, so they get the case held over, and then try to get you to settle, I don't think you have to fill in a financial statement, but I stand to be corrected. Last, of all get everything in writing trust is not in your favour.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
          Personally, I would want to know first what their settlement offer is ?.I would not make an offer. negotiate from there. It is their fault that the documents were not forthcoming, so they get the case held over, and then try to get you to settle, I don't think you have to fill in a financial statement, but I stand to be corrected. Last, of all get everything in writing trust is not in your favour.
          This is what I got in the letter:
          ”“We are willing to consider an affordable repayment plant towards settlement of the claim. If you wish to put forward a proposal we ask that you please complete financial statement”.

No idea what that means when it comes to settlement. I guess they just want me to start paying, without going to Court?

And definitely I’m sticking to old fashion letters. Can’t argue with black on white x

Comment

But it was naughty of them to wait for two months before they’ve sent a proof of debt, right after cancelled mediation date.

Perhaps they don’t want to go Court root either? I don’t know

Comment

The trouble is I’m not able to offer them any chunk of money, to settle it right now.
              In fact, I’ve been off work for months due to illness and I am not able to offer them much in monthly payments, apart symbolic £1.
              Don't think they will like that much but it’s a sad reality.

So no idea how to “settle” it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X