• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contract law Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract law Question

Hi All,

And thanks for taking the time to read.

3 weeks ago I went into a commercial vehicle dealer and agreed
    to trade my van in, as a part payment in new vehicle. The salesman offered with x amount which I excepted.
    I then payed a deposit for a new vehicle he said he had in stock.
    Couple days later, the salesman emailed me to explain that the
    van I had placed deposit on was sold by one of his colleagues.
    But he has another comparable vehicle coming in a couple
    weeks. Although the vehicle wasn’t the same colour I accepted
    his alternative. 2 weeks later vehicle was ready for collection.
    I went bs k to showroom,signed finance paperwork and invoice exchange document. Deal was complete, I left my old vehicle
    there, drive off in new. 48 hrs later I get a phone call from salesman, saying did I know the van didn’t have valid MOT
    and I was driving illegally. He then went to explain that the vehicle
    I part exchanged required a valid MOT to sell to them, and I was
    responsible to pay for MOT and any required repairs. If not
    the police could be involved. I told him that I sold the van in good
    faith, accepting his offer and never said had MOT. And that was
    his responsibility to check. I eventually put the phone down.
    Then I receive an email stating, stating that one of the exchange
    documents I signed, said I had handed over a current MOT.
    When I signed the documents this section relating to MOT had
    nit been crossed out, but had later to support there arguments.obviously fraudulent but I can’t prove as I never received copy of this document at time. They’ve then gone onto
    say I either pay for all works to get through MOT, which could be substantial. Or they will revoke part exchange agree return vehicle
    and invoice me for outstanding amount. I feel completely
    cheated as I’ve done everything above board, and they are now
    just trying to get out of a deal they now deem to be not beneficial.

Any idea on my legal position.

thanks in advance

Tags: None

Was the document you signed stating you had handed over the MOT also have a signature from the dealer?

Comment

Hi, No only I signed. And as I said they filled out specifics after i signed.
      I also did not receive a copy !

thanls

Comment

It would seem from your writing that you signed a document stating that you had handed over a current MOT certificate to the dealer.

I suggest, that as a first step, you demand a copy of the document you signed, and post a suitably redacted copy of it on here.

Pending sight of that my provisional view is that it would have been impossible for you to hand over a current MOT certificate, if no such MOT certificate existed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X