• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to request for plans/files held by private building control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to request for plans/files held by private building control

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise. I've had major issues with building works I've had done, with my architect taking my money but what appears is that they did not submit my plans to the council.
    I have contacted private building control, who signed off my project and they claim they cannot share any plans my architect submitted to them due to copyright. I'm in a sticky situation, where I will need to assign and pay for a new architect and get all plans drawn up and have them submitted to the council.

Do I have any legal grounds to request all documentation, plans, pictures etc. building control hold for my property, be with with my name on them or without my name on them and just my home address?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Contact ICO see what they advise, although it maybe it's copyright, but it's also information regards your property.

Comment

The architect should be able to supply them, and submit them to council
      Has he done a runner?

What form of appointment did you use when employing the architect?
      If it was the RIBA one it should giveyou a licence to use the drawings for the purpose intended, which will include obtaining the necessary Council permits etc., so IMO the private building control outfit should have no problems releasing a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        Contact ICO see what they advise, although it maybe it's copyright, but it's also information regards your property.
        Thanks, I'll call them on Monday as just checked and they closed at 5pm

Comment

Originally posted by brfcbrfc View Post

Thanks, I'll call them on Monday as just checked and they closed at 5pm
          They have a 'online chat' facility.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            The architect should be able to supply them, and submit them to council
            Has he done a runner?

What form of appointment did you use when employing the architect?
            If it was the RIBA one it should giveyou a licence to use the drawings for the purpose intended, which will include obtaining the necessary Council permits etc., so IMO the private building control outfit should have no problems releasing a copy.
            Yes, I cannot get in touch with the architect, initially he kept on stringing me along as I had other major builder issues, this stuff took the back seat when it shouldn't have I know as this probably the main thing!
            How would check if its RIBA?
            Private building control have on 3 occasions declined my request, claiming it would infringe copyright. I have checked the architects ltd company status and shows: The company status is Active - Proposal to Strike off. That was filled on 4th Jan and then on 22n Jan 2022 it shows: Compulsory strike-off action has been suspended

Don't know if I should overly be concerned

Comment

Do you not have a copy of your contract with the architect?

If the company is being struck off you should register your interest (especaially if you may have a claim against them); https://www.gov.uk/object-to-a-limit...ing-struck-off

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

They have a 'online chat' facility.
                I've spoken to them, they mentioned they can't do anything as copyright law is not covered in personal data. They advised could send building control an email to ask if they can remove the architects details from the drawings and then send to me, but building control have declined that too

Comment

Do you not have a copy of your contract with the architect?

If the company is being struck off you should register your interest (especaially if you may have a claim against them); https://www.gov.uk/object-to-a-limit...ing-struck-off
                  I don't, a friend got there drawings done through him and I thought he was legit so didn't draw up any contracts

Comment

Standard architect contracts usually contain a copyright licence clause, which allow the owner to use the plans for such purposes as obtaining Planning permission.(which is what I assume you need from the council).
                    it is the owners responsibility to obtain PP.
                    Did you have even a verbal agreement regarding what he was supposed to do?

The architect's copyright extends to the building itself, so you may have difficulty finding an architect prepared to draw up a duplicate set of plans.

Comment

Standard architect contracts usually contain a copyright licence clause, which allow the owner to use the plans for such purposes as obtaining Planning permission.(which is what I assume you need from the council).
                      it is the owners responsibility to obtain PP.
                      Did you have even a verbal agreement regarding what he was supposed to do?

The architect's copyright extends to the building itself, so you may have difficulty finding an architect prepared to draw up a duplicate set of plans.
                      Yes verbal agreement as well as a bunch of emails from his ltd company, stating he will get it done (planning approved, and that it will appear on the council portal soon), on a number of occasions

Comment

It might (note might) be possible to obtain a court injunction forcing either the architect or the Building Control company to release a copy of the plans for you to apply for retrospective planning permission, or an injunction ordering either of those parties to apply for you.

Perhaps a fixed fee (or possibly free) initial consultation with a solicitor to find the best approach

Comment

It might (note might) be possible to obtain a court injunction forcing either the architect or the Building Control company to release a copy of the plans for you to apply for retrospective planning permission, or an injunction ordering either of those parties to apply for you.

Perhaps a fixed fee (or possibly free) initial consultation with a solicitor to find the best approach
                          Thank You,

I will explore this option, via hopefully a free consultation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X