• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Builder to drop claim, I wish to pursue counterclaim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builder to drop claim, I wish to pursue counterclaim

I came into dispute with my builder in August 2020. I paid a deposit and when he demanded M1 payment I looked at the work and I was not happy with the standard, nor that enough work had been done and rework was required.

We went through the snagging works. He denied some of the smaller tasks refusing to carry out the work. For example, a box for shower head to be recessed into. This was despite the fact that I had it confirmed in writing in an email from him, so his argument was it wasn’t specified on the contract.

Next, the bathroom was supposed to be fitted, he had partially reboarded one wall but it wasn’t even level or straight, or fixed properly amongst other issues. He refused to put it right without further payment. At this point we entered dispute.

I wrote an email to him where I offered time of essence to resolve the issues with the current work, which he refused to do unless I paid for it. He then raised a claim against me through a solicitor, this was for full contract payment saying I was in breach of the contract, under pre-action protocol. I was able to dispute his claim as I had all the conversations and agreements backed up in email or message chats. I had also contracted a survey to be undertaken as well as quotes & costs provided by other builders. The survey supported my decision to stop payment, it highlighted the poor standard of workmanship and evidence to back my counterclaim. There is also lots of photographic evidence. I responded recently by submitting my counterclaim in full for all monies paid to the builder to date, and damages and fulfilment of the contract that he breached by claiming the total payment I’ve made to another contractor who redid the work and completed the contract work to a satisfactory standard. I also submitted a copy of the survey.
    His solicitor has written to say they will not take the matter further and want confirmation I will not pursue my counterclaim.

However, I wish to continue with my counterclaim, so I would be grateful for any advice. In my previous letter to his solicitor I said I was willing to use ADR to help resolve the matter, which has been ignored. Yet, if they do not wish to pursue the claim it is this no longer relevant? Do I need to start my own claim? Should I ask for details of the contractors indemnity insurance to start my own claim? Should I ask if they belong to a trade association? I found them on check a trade, should I contact the site and send details of the claim and issues I’ve experienced with this builder? Should I inform the builder that I will be pursuing my claim and taking legal action and suggest if ADR is rejected, then I’ll take the matter to small claims court?

If anyone could help me with this matter and offer guidance & advice, that would be brilliant.
    Tags: None

Hi Defendant

a) I said I was willing to use ADR to help resolve the matter, which has been ignored. -

You need to try to continue with this if possible.

b) Yet, if they do not wish to pursue the claim it is this no longer relevant?

There are still court proceedings, so it is still relevant, your counterclaim is court proceedings.

c) Do I need to start my own claim?

So what are you going to do with the counterclaim proceedings?

d) Should I ask for details of the contractors indemnity insurance to start my own claim?

As above.

e) Should I ask if they belong to a trade association?

You could do, but trade associations won't look into matters as there is active litigation.

f) I found them on check a trade, should I contact the site and send details of the claim and issues I’ve experienced with this builder?

You could do, but again there is active litigation.

g) Should I inform the builder that I will be pursuing my claim and taking legal action and suggest if ADR is rejected, then I’ll take the matter to small claims court?

As above. You can't just abandon the Counterclaim and start new proceedings.

Comment

Hi Echat11,

That is excellent news, I wasn’t sure if they drop the claim where I stand with my counterclaim. Good to know I can continue it.

Any advice as to what I should do next to pursue my counterclaim? I’m not sure what the next steps are.

Comment

Did they respond to your Countercaim?
        What's the last correspondence with the court?

Here is some Guidance:

https://www.judiciary.uk/publication...-civil-221013/

Comment

Has this matter actually reached the stage of initiating court action, or is it just letters to and fro the builder's solicitor?

Comment

Thanks Echat 11,

Their claim and the correspondence was sent under ‘pre-action protocol’. I sent them a copy of the survey along with my counterclaim and I also said I would be willing to use ADR services.

The builders solicitor letter was sent 2 days later, which was last week. It simply stated ‘we confirm our client is not pursuing the Claim further. In light of this, please confirm, that you will not be pursuing your threatened counterclaim.’

The claim hasn’t been filed with the courts.

Comment

Hi Des8,

This is letters only, pre-court action only. In the letter of claim and their follow on responses, were issued in accordance with pre-action protocol for Construction and Engineering disputes. They repeatedly referenced that the claimant reserves the right to commence proceedings against me without further compliance with the protocol and without further reference to me, if I ignored and failed to respond or comply.

I was hoping they would follow through on their threat as simply put they have no evidence to support any part of the claim. In response, I have a independent survey, builders quotes, photographs, as well as email exchange and what’s app screenshots of messages with the builder in question. I can date stamp and support everything in my counterclaim.

Comment

If it were me, I would be acknowledging their withdrawal but tell them your claim is still outstanding.
                Advise them that in order to mitigate costs your offer of ADR will remain on the table for a further x days until dd.mm/yy.
                If a suitable response is not received you will be initiating court action without further reference to them.

You haven't said how much your claim is? Will it fall within the small Claims track?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X