• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello, new here and looking for advice on a house purchase which has turned sour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, new here and looking for advice on a house purchase which has turned sour

Hello all, I hope someone can help us somewhat with this awful situation we are in.

We found our dream home in Scotland and were successful with our bid. One of the main questions we had regarding the property, which has a large chunk of land, was 'is there an agricultural tie?' We asked the agent and they came back to say no, definitely not. Fast forward over two months after being given the information that there is no tie and we had our offer accepted, small mortgage in place and were almost home...exactly one week before we were set to get the keys to this dream property, money moved to our solicitor, entire house packed, changes of address made to many companies, redirection of mail sorted, removal van booked etc...The agent rings to say "we have found there is an agricultural tie." After a few moments shock and the agent giving a poor apology, she goes on to tell us that they have already put in a planning application to remove this restriction and gave us a suggestion from their own solicitor. As the mortgage we arranged is not valid, we could have a retainer and effectively pay the cash amount we have ready for this property purchase and then pay the rest once our current property has sold. And if the planning department won't lift the restriction, then they would wave the amount which was on retainer.

We had no real understanding of what an agricultural tie really meant, we thought you might have to have some sort of small holding, keep animal or grow veg. But we did not know you have to in fact already be in agriculture. So although in the first instance we would have taken the route of having a balance on retainer, our solicitor pointed out that we could in fact have to move out if the restriction were not lifted. Leaving us with a property which would be worth less than what we paid for it and also it would be very difficult to sell the property with that tie.

So thankfully our solicitor advised us not to go ahead and explained all of that to us before we ran with our hearts towards this property which might have been the most costly mistake.

But we are left feeling quite heartbroken by this, we are living in a house full of cardboard boxes, in limbo wandering if the restriction can be lifted so that we can still purchase. The buyers of our house are patient, but sad that this has happened. Surely the agent in charge of listing this property, who gave us the wrong information that it had no agricultural tie have broken some sort of law here? We feel so stressed and hurt by this and have had an awful time trying to cancel everything. We just don't think this is right at all, is there any advice on which course of action we should take, if any? We are currently writing a letter of complaint. All our friends and family are disgusted and so saddened for us, they cannot believe an agent would allow this to happen. What course of action is best in this situation please?

We look forward to your thoughts on this.
    Tags: None

How awful. The house purchasing rules in Scotland are of course entirely different. We had to check there was nothing called a Feu which you don't have in England. I do not however think you the agent is to blame - they work off what they are told. The blame in my view lies elsewhere. Did the sellers complete documentation and state there was no tie? Did their solicitor tell them this? I am not an expert at all in this area and hopefully someone will be along to advise but you have my sympathy - though you have had a lucky escape.

Comment

Hi TheBuyers

Here's some info -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...ling-a-home-s/

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        How awful. The house purchasing rules in Scotland are of course entirely different. We had to check there was nothing called a Feu which you don't have in England. I do not however think you the agent is to blame - they work off what they are told. The blame in my view lies elsewhere. Did the sellers complete documentation and state there was no tie? Did their solicitor tell them this? I am not an expert at all in this area and hopefully someone will be along to advise but you have my sympathy - though you have had a lucky escape.
        Thank you very much for your response and kind words. I really don't know what the sellers have had to fill out? The seller is a millionaire selling an entire estate which was purchased purely as an investment. We were purchasing one small lot out of the estate. I would hazard a bet the seller knows very little about what they own as an investment and they let their solicitor deal with everything. It is a mess, we will need to seek legal advice I think. Our own solicitor said the first he knew about the tie was when we told him. We don't know what or who to believe, we are just devastated in in the worst mess.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          Many thanks for this information. We will have a good look at the links information tonight.

Comment

I agree you need legal advice. In England when a property is sold you have to fill in a document about it and you are legally bound to tell the truth.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X