• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Citizenship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Citizenship

Good evening everyone
    I am new here and will be very grateful if you can be patient and guide me please.
    Tags: None

My question is very simple. Yesterday, I have received my Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and I am married to a British citizen, so I can apply straight away for my British Citizenship, the problem is: My wife and I are having some difficulties lately. Her family are from another country and she lost quite a few relatives due to Covid and other illnesses recently and she really wants to move to stay with them. We talked about divorce and we are in very good terms and she really wants to help me but if she really decides to leave and we start divorce proceedings, once my application to become a British Citizen is still being processed, what will happen to me? Shall I just wait for 1 more year?
    I will be very grateful for your expert advice.
    Thank you and have a great evening.

Comment

"If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, divorcing your partner will not impact your settled status and you can stay in the UK independently."
      https://birmingham-immigrationlawyer...tay-in-the-uk/

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

"If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, divorcing your partner will not impact your settled status and you can stay in the UK independently."
        https://birmingham-immigrationlawyer...tay-in-the-uk/
        Thank you. To apply for citizenship right now I have to be married, otherwise, I will need to wait at least 1 year before sending my application. My doubt is: What happens if I send my application for citizenship and we start divorce proceedings before the application is finished? Do I need to inform HO that I started the divorce proceedings and ask them to cancel my application?

Comment

Sorry, but don't know if the application will be stalled if you divorce during the process.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X