• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police phone call for a chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police phone call for a chat

Hi, last August I got stopped in Tesco for not having paid for two items worth it£16. They took a picture of me and didn't call the police but told I would have been contacted by police for a fine. I received a fine of£ 115 from Tesco's solicitors. And today I received a phone call from the Police to go and see them tomorrow! For a civil banning and a couple of things to discuss?? What is going to happen? Can you help me please?
    Tags: None

Hi DAVE T

What's the name of the solicitors? Normally a third party company sends a 'speculative invoice'.
    You need to make sure a solicitor is present. Normally there is a 'duty solicitor' who should be available.
    This is a fairly unusual situation.

Comment

TAKE A SOLICITOR!!! That is the only bit of advice you need. If you cannot get one by tomorrow ring and rearrange the appointment.

Comment

Would be interesting to see that letter from the solicitor about the "fine".

Comment

Use Imgur to upload the solicitors letter, remove all personal details.

Comment

I don't know anything about a letter, I received already a fine of £115 from Tesco's solicitors and I paid for it.
            I don't know what Police wants from me now. Perhaps make admit the fact? And then give me a sort of warning? If it goes on the advanced DBS?

Comment

Only the courts and appropriate authorities can issue fines. Solicitors cannot

Comment

You say 'you received already a fine of £115 from Tesco's solicitors', how did they communicate this to you?
                They must of sent something, that is what you need to upload.

Comment

They sent me a letter, and that amount to pay as compensation to damage done to them?
                  I'll look for it, not home now.
                  But whatever they do tomorrow... will it affect my DBS do you think?

Comment

And do not go to the police without a solicitor
                    This is not a chat over a cuppa
                    It will be an interview under caution.
                    If you don't have your own solicitor, insist on the presence of the duty solicitor
                    This is free and is your right

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                      You say 'you received already a fine of £115 from Tesco's solicitors', how did they communicate this to you?
                      They must of sent something, that is what you need to upload.
                      Do you think it's a scam? as pointed out only a Court can impose a fine.

Comment

That £115 "fine" will have been a demand for costs from DWF (a firm of solicitors who act as judge jury and executioner in civil recovery cases for firms like T)

I'd be more concerned about police action as somemild sounding results (eg a caution) can show on enhanced DBS checks

Comment

Absolutely right. They will say "oh it is just a record and will have no impact" but it will. You have to accept a caution for it to be given. This is why you NEED a solicitor

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X