• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I think I've been accused of shop lifting....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've been accused of shop lifting....

Sorry its long and probably a bit muddled.

I had a strange thing happen in Sainsburys in December last year, near the entrance of the store I picked up a basket but hadn't put anything in it or got within reaching distance of the veg near the entrance, I patted myself down looking for my cycle gloves, they weren't where I though they were, I feared I'd left them on my bike, had a look in my back pack for them, found them, carried on the chilled section further along. When a man in a tie and shirt stomped over to me, thought it a bit odd, I moved over to the other side, he followed me. Another customer said hello to him so they started a chat, I went on with my shopping. This happened with different men stomping up to me giving me glares but not saying anything, I feared I was about to get attacked, I'm a woman, one guy matched my route but on the other side of the tills. If I stopped, he stopped.
    Thought this was really odd and they've confused me with someone else, I had a hat on and covid mask, winter boots, big cycle jacket etc.

I even had my back pack open on the floor at the self service till (only thing open), I noticed the male supervisor had a good look in my back pack but didn't say anything. All I had in there was my cycle pump and emergency tools, (it was a 14 mile cycle to Sainsburys). I paid with my credit card (guess this is how they identified me), I left. No questions. I just wanted to get away from the place.

I went back once a few weeks later and got glared at by the young lad who'd been on the other side of the tills, this time he was serving me and the checkout till. The security guard looked quite smug and pleased with himself.
    A few months later in Waitrose in another town I was followed around the store by their security, he was a bit more subtle about following me at a good distance, kept looping around the areas I was in. Since then I've noticed a young Waitrose employee looking like she was taking a photo of me, and quickly hurrying away. I had a senior till women stand behind me while I was packing, straining to get a look at my bag with my cycling kit in (by now I stopped carrying the back pack and used the near see though waitrose bags deliberately. I've been shopping in both stores for over 20 years, never been an issue before.
    I know our area has a shared cctv system, two way radios in the shops and they share info on crime and shoplifters to help stop it happening.

I've been marked as a shoplifter haven't I? Surely store CCTV would have shown what actually happened. It's already uncomfortable shopping locally with people I know serving me. I've stopped going to the shops at all. Are they allowed spread my image about with no proof? I don't really know who to contact, What should I do, if anything? I feel a bit stupid for not guessing what was going on in Sainsburys. But don't see why it's up to me to ask.
    I've read up on other schemes that share information, if suspected of shoplifting you are on the system for 2 years!
    Tags: None

Hi Hello888996

You really have nothing to worry about.

If you are concerned, send a SAR to both Sainsbury and Waitrose, they have 30 days to provide all the information they hold on you. Include CCTV footage, photographs etc. When you get the info go through it.

You could also write a Formal Complaint if you have evidence of wrong doing.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Hello888996

You really have nothing to worry about.

If you are concerned, send a SAR to both Sainsbury and Waitrose, they have 30 days to provide all the information they hold on you. Include CCTV footage, photographs etc. When you get the info go through it.

You could also write a Formal Complaint if you have evidence of wrong doing.

Thank you, it was more that the "local crime prevention" cctv group must have been sharing it as fact. I absolutely did not put anything of any body elses in my bag, it would have been very clear if some one had replayed store cctv. I had nothing in my hands or basket and looked for my own gloves. Now I get treated like a shop lifter, it's shared amongst 3 major towns and a city. I've tried to find out the Right wing sounding business first group for a SAR request and I'm blanked. They ignore email requests for info.

Comment

If you are having 'difficulties' getting information and believe something dubious is going on seek advice from the ICO, they have a online chat facility (might be an idea to have the questions written out before hand so you can copy and paste them). They will give you guidance. If your details are being 'passed' around, you want to know why.

https://ico.org.uk/

Comment

I have done this, it took a while due to having anxiety attacks each time I tried to approach this. Bonkers I know.

I did a SAR to Sainsburys and the local crime group. Sainsburys have just written back with purchase info and email address info they hold on me. I did ask about the date of a store related incident, nothing back relating to that.

The group that says they share local data on shared crime information will not acknowledge my emails asking for their address, I sent a recorded delivery letter which was returned by royal mail saying no such address exists, it was a P.O Box.
          The other supermarket, Waitrose, said they do get a list of shoplifters from the police, saying there has to be evidence to be accused. There is no evidence that I shoplifted, I don't shoplift.

Should I send another SAR relating to the actual date? And Waitrose?
          The group that must have shared my information are putting up a bit of a wall. Would the ICO look into it?

Comment

Originally posted by hello888996 View Post
            I have done this, it took a while due to having anxiety attacks each time I tried to approach this. Bonkers I know.

I did a SAR to Sainsburys and the local crime group. Sainsburys have just written back with purchase info and email address info they hold on me. I did ask about the date of a store related incident, nothing back relating to that.

The group that says they share local data on shared crime information will not acknowledge my emails asking for their address, I sent a recorded delivery letter which was returned by royal mail saying no such address exists, it was a P.O Box.
            The other supermarket, Waitrose, said they do get a list of shoplifters from the police, saying there has to be evidence to be accused. There is no evidence that I shoplifted, I don't shoplift.

Should I send another SAR relating to the actual date? And Waitrose?
            The group that must have shared my information are putting up a bit of a wall. Would the ICO look into it?
            The ICO has a chat facility on their website, so run your scenario past them. If you are meeting resistance from 'the group sharing your information', they might be able to look into it for you, providing you've attempted to get the information from them. I think you are o.k. regards Sainsburys and Waitrose.

Comment

It sounds awful, but just keep going without stealing anything and they will give up eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

The ICO has a chat facility on their website, so run your scenario past them. If you are meeting resistance from 'the group sharing your information', they might be able to look into it for you, providing you've attempted to get the information from them. I think you are o.k. regards Sainsburys and Waitrose.
                Well, I've had problems if I just look in my bag(for my shopping list!). Maybe I need a small bag, or no bag.
                I've stopped shopping in any store in the area, just do it online. What I should have done was make a formal complaint about the way the staff acted towards me in store. From what other people have said there are penalties for security getting it wrong, so why would they bother to approach me to find out the truth? If they don't need evidence and don't talk to their "suspect" then they can pretty much make up anything.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X