• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car broken right after MOT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car broken right after MOT

Advice please. 2013 focus that has done10k in the last year on long journeys and short, without missing a beat. Had an MOT and passed yesterday. Only 1 advisory, coolant leak somewhere. Within 24 hrs, on a short journey, car overheated due to no coolant. Head gasket blown and the engine needs replacing! The garage are a good bunch, and say that they didn't touch anything, but surely, this is too much of a coincidence. They have given us a courtesy car but I'm pretty sure they will not volunteer to replace the engine - what can I do?
    Tags: None

Hi James Bourne

That sounds very suspicious, all very convenient. I take it was a annually scheduled MOT? Did they offer to check the motor for the 'coolant leak'?

Comment

Because of the advisory, did you check the coolant level in the expansion tank (where you top up the coolant)? As part of an MOT test, other than to check security of the exhaust, wheel bearings, steering play and suspension bushes, everything is visual so it's unlikely to be the fault of the tester, just coincidental. It's the same with an oil leak, they would advise you that visually there is an oil leak but not necessarily from exactly where (because it's not obvious) and they wouldn't check your oil level. That's up to you. If you carried on driving and the engine had no oil you'd wreck the engine. The same with coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
        Because of the advisory, did you check the coolant level in the expansion tank (where you top up the coolant)? As part of an MOT test, other than to check security of the exhaust, wheel bearings, steering play and suspension bushes, everything is visual so it's unlikely to be the fault of the tester, just coincidental. It's the same with an oil leak, they would advise you that visually there is an oil leak but not necessarily from exactly where (because it's not obvious) and they wouldn't check your oil level. That's up to you. If you carried on driving and the engine had no oil you'd wreck the engine. The same with coolant.
        I think the OP is saying that it's not a 'coincidence', although the garage is saying they didn't do anything.

Comment

I was just pointing out that the car may well have had little to no coolant in it at the time of the MOT. Fluid levels are not part of an MOT. Antifreeze leaves a white deposit when it's leaked onto hot surfaces and this probably was the reason for the advisory.

Comment

I must be old school as I check oil and water before the start of first journey of the day

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X