• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Clinical negligence when private patient

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinical negligence when private patient

Hi I’m fairly new to the forum and feel very conflicted. Long story short I had life changing surgical complications 6 years ago. I never complained at the time as I was told I would heal or could be fixed . When he tried to fix me with more surgery, that also went wrong nearly killing , I had sepsis , respiratory failure and spent 6 months in hospital being vein fed. Complications done get much worse than this. I then suffered severe psychiatric problems such as ptsd and severe anxiety. I never pursued legal advice as I was just too unstable and genuinely believed I’d get better. 6 years on I’m still not recovered and have been told it’s safer to live with this than risk more surgery. I have 2 stoma bags. There is no disease so I’m not on any treatment, this has been caused by surgery.
    im out of time for clinical negligence but I’ve been told that as I was private the time limit is 6 years and is more a breach of contract situation as obviously I never signed up for this and strongly feel a more robus risk/benefit assessment should have been undertaken before the surgery was carried out. I’d had a difficult surgical history and the surgeons had been told a further operation would make things much worse but these surgeons were and are top of their tree. The work for NHS and private.
    I was onky private as I was in bupa as part of my job .
    it seems there is no recourse here .
    can anyone hel p please
    Tags: None

I wish I could help. So sorry to hear of your terrible experiences. No one can imagine how much you have suffered.
    This is beyond what a forum can really help with. More details are required, not our business.
    I suggest contacting patient groups for support. Can you get a solicitor to act pro bono, free for the common good ? Consider looking at a no win no fee firm, but be careful.
    Again I wish I was qualified to help. What happened is dreadful and I pray you have better health.

Comment

Thank you for your considerate reply. It has been horrendous and will never be over, that’s the problem if I’d recovered I’d be so grateful but I haven’t and every year seems to bring new problems. This is a rare catastrophic complication and I feel I’ve been ‘swept under the carpet’., after all no surgeon would want to admit to this. On saying that I had a difficult surgical history so it may not be negligence but I just don’t know. The last solicitor I spoke to said I’d have to pay £15k to get it to court . My insurance company, whom I contacted to see if they will help with legal fees, said it’s 6 years if you were private but no one else has ever mentioned that. I just wish I could get a definitive answer from a trusted source. I’m not sure how to go about finding a solicitor who would act pro Bono, I feel quite invisible if I’m honest.
      id share as much detail as you want of I could get some reliable advice.
      thanks again

Comment

Hi Groundhog

Contact the Patients Association see if they can advise, email might be best - https://www.patients-association.org.uk/

Comment

Excellent suggestion. Think I'll save that, never know who might need it. Hopefully no-one but.....

Comment

Had a good look. Joined up, it's free. Definitely a source of help, recommend everyone has a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Scot22 View Post
              Had a good look. Joined up, it's free. Definitely a source of help, recommend everyone has a look.
              That's cool Scott22.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X