• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car dealership con?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealership con?

Hi, new to this site, please forgive any misgivings. My wife and I recently visited a main dealer to view a 2nd hand car they were advertising. We telephoned and arranged it all first. Unfortunately, once in the vehicle it didn't suit. The salesman then suggested a different model, one he had already sold, and asked our opinion. After sitting in it, he arranged a test drive in a stock vehicle of the same model, and it suited us very well. He then said he could find us one, if we let him know what we were after colour year and mileage wise.Well he couldn't get the colour so we half accepted a different colour choice, he couldn't get the mileage, but by this time we had been sitting in the showroom for 2 and a half hours and had had enough, he made a vehicle he found sound amazing and said he had negotiated the price from the sister dealer down from 21,995 to 21,695 for us, but we had to pay a deposit. We paid 500 deposit. Now it appears that the vehicle he has 'found' for us was on sale at the sister dealership for only 19,995. My question is, am I bound to accept this inflated price and let him rip me off to the tune of 2,000? It isn't even the colour we wanted and has way more miles than we originally said we were going to accept. What choices do I have, do I have to pay the extra 2,000, or walk away and lose my 500 deposit, or is there another way out of this?
    Tags: None

My thoughts are to refuse to accept the car and request return of deposit. Was it agreed that the deposit was non refundable Unfortunately the scam is not unknown.

If, or when, they refuse then perhaps threaten small claims based on misrepresentation. A court report in the local paper would not be good publicity.

Comment

Hi Scott, thank you for your advice.
      There was no mention of whether or not the deposit was refundable, I didn't ask. He did make me sign a tablet of some sort, without telling me what this was for, it was just a blank box on an i-pad. I didn't get a copy of whatever it was either. More and more I get the feeling that as we are old, he was just scaming us.

Comment

What do you feel about contacting Citizens Advice ? None of our business how old you are, but perhaps try AGE UK ?
        I suspect you are right and it is age related in which case they won't want anyone else involved.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X