• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car dealer has changed to Private Limited Company after I bought car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealer has changed to Private Limited Company after I bought car

Hi,
    we bought a car in Jan 21 from a car dealer who was a sole trader then but car developed problems on the way home. The car went back the next day and we were told a repair was done and we got the car back 10 days later but the car lost all power and can't be driven. the dealer told us to bring it back but We said We were rejecting the car as it was still within 30 days and would like a refund under the Consumer Rights Act but the dealer said no. We paid via visa Debit card and went down the chargeback route. We were not advised by the bank at any time That the chargeback(visa) has different rules and do not follow the Consumer Rights Act as we have now found out and the chargeback was lost in the basis that visa rules are you need to return the car. We have only found this out which why it has taken this length of time to the next level which is taking the dealer to court. I have just found out that the dealer has changed from sole trader to putting the company in his wife's name and changing it to Private Limited company in Feb 21. I would like to know if anyone could advice where we would stand if we went ahead with taking the dealer to court. The car cost £5250 and has not been driven just sitting in our driveway. I would be grateful for any advice please.
    Thank you

Tags: None

I stand to be corrected on this but I would think you stand a good chance in taking him to Court, he simply cannot say you purchased the car from a Ltd company, and as you paid by Debit card it will show he was the receiver of the money, not the Ltd company. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Your contract was with the trader and he can't avoid his personal liabilities so easily.

However does he personally have sufficient assets to pay any award the courts might eventually award?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X