• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home insurance - accusation of fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home insurance - accusation of fraud

Hello. Firstly, hope everyone is keeping well. I'm trying to find a ProBono clinic within the London area, but have failed. Most clinics suggested by LawWorks refuse to take my case, as I do not live within their borough. My Home Insurance refused to pay out on a contents claim in 2019, as they claim I committed fraud by not disclosing a bankruptcy in 2004. Yet when asked at the time in 2018, the question was very clear... 'Have you been bankrupt in the last five years'. I said no. I sent them my discharge letter from the High Court dated 2009, but they still sent me a letter this year suing me for £94,000 for building works that had started in 2019. I have contacted the Ombudsman, who agreed that Fraud was not the case on my part. I contacted one solicitor for a free advice phone call last year, and they said I had not committed fraud, which they confirmed by email. I am not entitled to Legal Aid and can not afford a solicitor/lawyer. I telephoned the law firm representing the insurance company and the lawyer said he did advice his client this was not a strong enough case against me. My first thought was unprofessional and a form of entrapment. I clearly stated in writing I refuse to pay all costs, and refuse mediation, as I have not ever committed fraud. The fact they have cancelled my insurance policy means I can no longer purchase home insurance in my name. Does anyone know of any ProBono clinic that would not turn me away. I did contact one university who runs clinics, but they have already said they work for a particular borough in London, which means I will not hear from them.
    Tags: None

Have you tried the insurance ombudsman?

Comment

You say they "sent me a letter this year suing me for £94,000"
      Has the insurance company actually issued a court claim?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        You say they "sent me a letter this year suing me for £94,000"
        Has the insurance company actually issued a court claim?
        Hi. The solicitors letter gave me three options. First Option: pay the full amount. Second Option: to mediate for a settlement amount. Third Option: to go to court. I declined options one and two,

Comment

So you haven't yet received a court claim form.

If it were me, my reply would be to warn them I was about to issue a court claim for specific performance of the insurance contract if they did not meet my contents claim and reinstate the policy.
          However if they implemented their intention to initiate a court claim, I would be lodging a counterclaim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X