• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thank you for the welcome.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for the welcome.

I have a problem with a neighbour removing my only light source to a kitchen by erecting a fence immediately in front of it. Can you suggest which forum to outline this problem further please?
    Tags: None

Go ahead here,
    Mods will move it if necessary

Comment

I own a freehold property with a GF kitchen that opens out over a neighbour’s (I will call him AB) freehold yard that he bought about 3 years ago. AB has now erected a wooden fence so close to my wall that the window will not open outwards as it previously did and has blocked all natural light. As a temporary measure I have reversed the hinges on the window so that it opens inwards, but the main problem is the lack of light. I have tried to discuss this with AB but he is totally unwilling to compromise and seems to be doing this out of spite. AB’s claimed originally that the fence was temporary and would be removed then changed to claiming that the window had been there for less than 20 years.

I originally wrote to AB by recorded delivered but the Post Office returned this marked ‘Not Collected’. AB’s home address is unknown but the address written to is also that of a Company of which he is the sole director of registered at Companies House.

I sought advice of both the police and local authority but both have proved totally useless.

The previous occupier (CD) of AB’s yard, for a period of about 30 years from about 1991, would be able to confirm that the window has existed since approximately 1994 when he first knew the property. I do need to trace CD though. I have a further neighbour (EF) who could confirm the existence of the window since at least 1994.

For my part, when I looked at the property back in the late 90s I was aware there was a window there then though did not buy the property for another 7 years or so.

I cannot see that AB will agree to mediation in any for so it seems to only leave court. What does anybody suggest? All advice will be gratefully received!

Comment

Is the fence more than 2 metres high? If so, it will require planning permission.

Comment

It is not quite.

Comment

Rights of Light Act 1959 Rights of Light Act 1959 (legislation.gov.uk) and Rights to Light - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) might give you some pointers

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Rights of Light Act 1959 Rights of Light Act 1959 (legislation.gov.uk) and Rights to Light - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) might give you some pointers
              Thank you Des8. I will explore.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X