• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Covid confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid confusion

I’m finding it hard to get clear guidance on this issue could anyone please advise me?

During October (no lockdown) I went out for a meal with work. One person booked 2 separate tables, a table of 5 and one of 4. We followed government guidance and sat at our socially distanced tables, signed in, sanitised and at all times obeyed the rules.
    One person tested positive for Covid a couple of days after the meal, we think he contracted it few days before. Because we were in contact we had to isolate for 14 days. No-one else got it, clearly following the guidelines worked.
    Our employers are not happy and insist we have broken the law! Both groups are now facing disciplinary action, could anyone give me sound advice on this please, I have read a few things online but I really can’t see that we have done anything wrong, let alone break the law.
    thank you for taking the time to read this, I look forward to your replies.
    Tags: None

If the employer says you have broken the 'law', it falls to the employer to specify a) the name of the legislation and b) the section or sections he asserts you breached and c) how such a breach entitles him to take disciplinary action against you.

A simple assertion - 'you have broken the law' will not do.

It is also not open to an employer to take disciplinary action against a 'group' of his employees - he must proceed against each individual, separately.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

They are dealing with us as a group but is issuing individual action.
      They are trying to say that we went out as a group larger than what is acceptable in accordance with the law/guidance which as far as I can see a group is determined by the number of people sitting at a table, therefore a group of 4 and a group of 5.
      Because 1 person booked two tables for the two groups this is where they are saying we broke the law, is there anything on this?

many thanks.

Comment

There is a profound difference between law and guidance.
        Simply put, laws must be obeyed, guidance does not.

You say that your employer asserts that "we broke to law". You are entitled to know, as a matter of law, what specific law he asserts you broke and indeed what section of that law. Unless he expressly states that, your employer's disciplinary proceedings are fatally flawed.

Comment

I would also add that your employer is taking the definition of 'social gathering' quite broadly. In my view, meeting the rule of six whilst having separate tables is still within the law/guidance that was given at the time. But, as Efpom said, the onus is on your employer to prove what law you have actually broken - suggest that any disciplinary meeting is recorded, notes are taken and you may want to have an independent person attend too (by law your employer must allow this) and you should tell him this as soon as possible.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X