• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business keys not returned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business keys not returned

Hi. I have a staff member that I had to let go. I wrote her an email telling her she was dismissed. Despite sending emails and trying to phone, she does not respond. She has the keys to the business and I have asked her to return them but she does not respond. What do I do?
    Tags: None

Either undertake expensive legal action or , as a practical solution,change the locks.

Comment

change the locks tomorrow. Your insurance may be invalid otherwise. If you want you could try suing her for the cost but I suspect it's a cost of doing business.

Comment

If your email terminated the contract of employment the instant it was sent, its recipient was no longer your employee and has therefore no contractual obligation to you and therefore has no obligation to make any effort to return any of your property to you.

So, you are not in any position to request your former employee to make any effort to return your property to you

That person's only obligation is to give you one opportunity to collect your property currently in that person's possession.

You say that you emailed and telephoned, presumably in efforts to arrange collection, but you were not able to make contact with your former employee.

As you are a business person, you will undoubtedly have initially written a letter aimed at making arrangements to collect your property and sending it by post to the address of your former employee. You will undoubtedly have that address in your business records

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X