• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solictor starting debt action against Family member for works undertaken.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solictor starting debt action against Family member for works undertaken.

Hello all,

Now this may be a really touchy subject, my brother is currently going through a tough time with his ex partner and is not getting access to his son. He originally had a local family law firm working for him and he was cash on account. He felt the Law firm wasnt working in his best interests, and wasnt submitting required documentation for access etc etc, and was charged for police disclosures that never arrived. Also breakdowns of costs were never explained, even on a smaller bill for £3k which he paid for without hesitation.

He then lost his job and is now entitled to legal aid. The company does not undertake legal aid work, (unsure if registered for it!) and demanded outstanding payment in full another 3k, he asked for a breakdown and only received "for works undertaken".

He managed to obtain a better solicitor on legal aid, who has worked extensivley for him and has highlighted the basic failings of his previous lawyer/solictor, and where massive failings took place. The new solictor has done more in 4 months than the previous one did in 18 months.

Emails were sent from old family law firm for outstanding amount, and my brother in reply emails politley said he had lost his job and could only come up with a payment plan, to clear the outstanding amount (before he heard about the failings from his current solicitor) but needed the casefile the old solictor had undertook as the hearing was in 3 weeks. The response was No from the solictor and payment in full was needed before anything was released.

New solictor and brother undertook new statements and case progressed at an expotential rate.

The old solictor, after 4 months of hearing nothing, out of the blue on friday sent an email saying "the debt had been passed to a debt collection agency" with no prior warning or communications. the debt collection agency then got in touch on monday (2 days , weekend) saying he had 7 days to come to a payment plan (something he had suggested in an earlier email which was shot down). over 1k has been added on in costs and they have given him 12 days to respond.

Am i correct in thinking this will be a money claims Court which i could contest for my brother, or will it be a civil claim (company to individual) and if so do both of the processes adhere to the Practice Direction- Pre-action Conduct and protcols, or am i way off the mark? Im not a learned person, like most of you are on here, and i value the work good solictors/ lawyers do, as i was previously a victim of fraud, and having the right solicitor is worth their weight in gold, and worth every penny as i found out, and now understand.

any pointers in the right direction would be really helpful.While it isnt a david and goliath case, i do feel daunted to be replying on my brothers half to a solictior who could potentially tie me up in knots, ho hasnt even really taken an interest in the case and constantly remarked about additonal costs.

many thanks

I am sure the experts will be along to help you soon but just a question - have you raised a formal complaint with the original firm about their failings and the consequences this had for you?

Comment

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Emails were sent from my brother to the solicitors while he was with them and stated that they had failed to do certain things for him, submissions, applications etc. But a formal complaint hasnt been sent to them or a legal ombudsman, as he didnt want to focus on that. With them saying no to a payment plan and hearing nothing for 4 months he thought it had dissapeared. I will look into this as a course of action now though thank you.

I was more focused on him not getting railroaded into court claims or being bullied by debt collection agents, and didnt think of this.
      Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Comment

Couple of things I can suggest here.

1. Get in touch with the debt collection agency and let them know that a complaint is about to be raised with the firm of solicitors in respect of their bill. Try and agree with them to put their action on hold until that process has been completed. (Debt collection is not my area of expertise just trying to be logical about them holting any further action).
        2. Contact the law firm and ask for their complaints procedure, your brother needs to do this very speedily. Raise a complaint in accordance with that process. Reference needs to be made about no correspondence from the time they said no to releasing the file because payment had not been made in full (if you check their terms and conditions it is likely to be in there as a clasue, since it is pretty standard across all law firms) to the fact they had passed it over to a debt collection agency. Plus the fact they were not prepared to enter into a payment arrangement given the changed cirumstances of your brother.
        3. Legal Ombudsman will only consider a complaint if you have gone through 2 above and not had a satisfactory outcome.

Hope that helps but you need to jump on this in Monday.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write that.

I have already started with the debt collection agency (who i dont think are following the "rules") but with what yourself and Islandgirl have commented has shown me an additional way to contend this.

I am still waiting for my brother to forward through his engagement letter /contract so i can scan through it. I will do both the things you have kindly listed in your reply.

Thanks once again for taking the time out to reply

Have a great weekend and thank you for your help.

Comment

No problem hopefully we have pointed you in the right direction.

The likely place that you will find a sub clause about being able to have a copy of the file but only if the account has been fully paid is under a main clause headed Termination. If it's not there then sorry it will be a good read through the whole document.

Any further questions just post back on this thread.

Have a good weekend as well.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

ive deleted in case its read as i dont want to give them a heads up
              Last edited by momorris1980; 21st November 2020, 12:51:PM.

Comment

Please do not get too excited just yet. Have you found that the law firm is registered as dormant from a search on Companies House? Are they trading under any other name? You need to carry out thorough checks first.

As part of that it would be worth checking the firm's status with the SRA which you can do at the link below:

https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/register/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X