• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Woody

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woody

We are buying a property in a few acres but have identified the land registry plan boundary is in a different place to the fence, by 0.21 of an acre, this is to the detriment of the property. The owner says they have lived there for 40 years without any dispute and it is up to us whether we buy it as is or not. What advice can you give please.
    Tags: None

I can only advise how I would approach the problem.
    You are buying a few acres, so how important is this particular parcel of one fifth of an acre?
    Unless it controls access, or has a watercourse you require does it matter?
    I would probably just go ahead and carry on using it like the current owners.
    If the registered owners suddenly woke up, I'd probably let them have it back rather than resist.
    Land disputes can become expensive, and possibly not worth the stress for a comparative small piece of ground.

You could apply for adverse possession.
    The procedure is different for registered and unregistered land.
    The downside is that the true owners could be alerted and oppose your application and you lose the use of the land

You could search out the true owners and make an offer for the land (which they might or might not accept!)

Or you could apply to determine the boundary if you think the land registry plans are wrong.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X