• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mis-sold private used car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-sold private used car

I bought a used car privately on 23/8/20.

The advert stated the car had a "solid chassis" and praised it's good mechanical condition.

i inspected this car before purchase and did not initially spot anything wrong. The seller reinforced how good the condition of the mechanicals and chassis were verbally.

After getting the car home, i had to deal with a variety of unexpected problems (leaks, overheating, starter motor failure), but took these on the chin. However, further inspection revealed the chassis outriggers to be completely rotten and arguably unsafe for the road. There was a lot of hidden rust and a huge hole in the chassis tubes that is very difficult to see.

i mentioned it to the seller and asked about coming to an agreement, but they are refusing to oblige and insist they were unaware of it.
    Tags: None

You have very little rights in a private sale.
    If the car is unsafe it should not have passed its Mot. Have a look at history and see if any advisories . If there are then must have been aware.

Comment

Sorry not read post carefully enough. Since the seller stated solid chassis that is obviously misrepresentation. Investigate opportunities of small claims court.

Comment

Originally posted by Scot22 View Post
        Sorry not read post carefully enough. Since the seller stated solid chassis that is obviously misrepresentation. Investigate opportunities of small claims court.
        Is it likely worth the effort / cost?

Will I have to prove they purposefully misrepresented or is their ignorance sufficient?

Does any liability lie with me for not spotting the issue in initial inspection?

Cheers

Comment

Get the last MOT and see what it says

Comment

misrepresentation can be innocent (ie seller genuinely thought the car was solid) but none the less there can be consequences.
            A court could order recission of the contract ie you are all put back in the position that obtained before the sale, or they could award you damages.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              Get the last MOT and see what it says
              MOT is all clear.

Comment

And the previous?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                  And the previous?
                  All clear. Never had any issues relating to chassis.

However, there is no way the rust hole in the chassis appeared in such a short time, so it's either been missed or had a dodgey MOT.

Comment

Have you had an inspection by a qualified motor engineer?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                      Have you had an inspection by a qualified motor engineer?
                      Nope, but I found a rusted out hole in the chassis that I can fit 4 fingers in that isn't supposed to be there.

Comment

depends where the hole is as to whether or not it is a MoT failure

Comment

Originally posted by Strudul View Post

Nope, but I found a rusted out hole in the chassis that I can fit 4 fingers in that isn't supposed to be there.
                          Chassis outrigger. Around a mounting hole to the body, but not near a suspension point.

Comment

It sounds problematic, but if you intend initiating court action you will need more than an unsighted forum member's opinion.
                            You need an independent qualified engineer's report.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X