• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private road width restriction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private road width restriction

I live on an estate made up of private roads and lanes .
    we have one access road only into the Estate , where then
    it splits at the end to various other lanes . There are 150 plots of
    land on the estate . Some residents “ about 25 couples , have
    taken it upon them selfs to place 2 with restrictions in the
    access road . They are large concrete bollards 5ft tall by
    3ft wide . They have installed 4 of these . The space left for a vehicle is 9ft . Are there any
    laws on width restrictions on private roads?
    Would the estate need to have 2 access roads ?
    all the residents have full right of way to use the access road .
    They have no permission from all the residents.
    we have nothing in writing , they have decided they are a committe . What if a member of said” committe moves from
    the estate or should pass away are we stuck with these
    eyesore’s Forever . Surely they must need paper work .
    stating names of such committe members ?
    The Estate is made of plot land from the war . Some are still plots
    with static caravans on . Some are are now bungalows as residents have gained permission over the years .
    The problem is , I live in a mobile home on my land . I
    have full permission and pay council tax . I have lived here
    for 30years . I want to move my mobile home off , but am now essentially
    stuck in my own home because of these bollards . I understand
    I can get a court order but this will cost me a lot of money
    and time I don’t have . The residents won’t move them . So
    I’m trying to find other loop holes to get them removed .
    I understand this is a grey area because the nature of the
    road being private .
    please can any one help . I’m desperate for a solution
    Thankyou
    Tags: None

Be interesting to see any answers to this but our problem is people using the road as a race track and the poor state of the road itself as it is unclear who is responsible for upkeep .We " own" half but a farmer the other and is classed as a private road.
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Regarding OP's question I would be contacting my local planning department.

Presumably these roads provide access for the emergency services to the various plots.
      Building Regs require access of a minimum width (i think it is just over 3 metres) so the planning department might be interested.
      Get your local councillor involved.

The upkeep of private roads is normally down to the frontagers.

Are these private roads or unadopted roads?
      What are , if any, the agreement or arrangements for maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Regarding OP's question I would be contacting my local planning department.

Presumably these roads provide access for the emergency services to the various plots.
        Building Regs require access of a minimum width (i think it is just over 3 metres) so the planning department might be interested.
        Get your local councillor involved.

The upkeep of private roads is normally down to the frontagers.

Are these private roads or unadopted roads?
        What are , if any, the agreement or arrangements for maintenance?
        On our deeds we "own' half and a farmer is supposed to be responsible for the other. Until about four years ago there was a sign saying private road but that disappeared. To add insult to injury The local council then decided the whole road was designated as ' unadopted" made an alternative route for a coastal path. There used to be a committe but the person that organused that moved.and no one took it over. From the OP description I suspect they live fairly close. I am not sure what else we can do as most residents don't seem interested .

Comment

Problem with unadopted roads is that they are designated public highway.
          As such they need to be maintained by the frontagers or as per your deeds
          If maintenance is required the ‘street works authority’ (i.e. the local authority) can order it be done.(Section 230 Highways Act 1980 )
          If it is not they can carry out the maintenance themselves and then bill the responsible parties

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            Problem with unadopted roads is that they are designated public highway.
            As such they need to be maintained by the frontagers or as per your deeds
            If maintenance is required the ‘street works authority’ (i.e. the local authority) can order it be done.(Section 230 Highways Act 1980 )
            If it is not they can carry out the maintenance themselves and then bill the responsible parties
            Mr DT has tried to make as good a job as he can but more delivery vans and lorries now and just under half on our bit are second homes/ holiday lets

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X