• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCA Request PRA Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCA Request PRA Group

Hi,

I have been referred to your site via Sarah from Debt Camel. I am hoping that you might be able to help me to understand if documents received in response to a CCA request from PRA Group constitute an agreement?

Just to provide some background, I am going to copy over the message history between myself and Sarah if that’s ok....
    Gemma says

November 20, 2019 at 10:23 am
    Hi there,

I am hoping that someone will be able to provide me with some advice on the following please….

I have a total debt amounting to £30,400.00 which is spread amongst 6 creditors. I was previously under and IVA which failed September 2015 due to a change in health and work circumstances. Consequently, the last payment made to my creditors was in October 2015 and no payments have been made since this date.

I have not received any communication from any of my creditors chasing the debts apart from one debt which was transferred from MBNA to PRA Group for a credit card debt. PRA Group have remained in contact since buying the debt but have until now been placing my account on hold every 3 months due to my financial circumstances. I have now received a letter from PRA Group advising that my account is now being referred to their investigations and litigation department to look at my outstanding debt for possible litigation recovery. I sent them a CCA request yesterday as per National Debtline advice and I am now waiting upon a response.

I would like to know how to proceed if PRA Group advise that they cannot provide me with a copy of the initial agreement please? Obviously, if they are able to supply the requested information I feel I have no alternative than to declare myself Bankrupt as I am not in a position to pay back the debt currently.

I have detailed below a list of my creditors and current status, do you think it would be possible for me to settle the accounts for 5% of the outstanding balances with the help from a family member? I would ideally like to avoid Bankruptcy if at all possible since the defaults have now disappeared from my credit report and I now have a good credit rating.

Original Creditor Last Known Creditor Date Opened Default Date Balance
    MBNA Platinum Credit Card PRA Group 31-07-03 31-08-12 £3,700
    Barclaycard Credit Card Watch Portfolio Management 18-10-02 17-08-13 £500
    Barclaycard Credit Card Watch Portfolio Management 19-10-03 23-07-13 £8,000
    Halifax Overdraft HBOS at The Insolvency Exchange 01-09-99 16-07-13 £700
    Halifax Credit Card HBOS at The Insolvency Exchange 07-01-06 18-05-12 £3,500
    Northern Rock Loan IVA Watch 05-06-06 30-07-13 £14,000

Many thanks in advance

Gemma
    Sara (Debt Camel) says

November 20, 2019 at 10:48 am
    “how to proceed if PRA Group advise that they cannot provide me with a copy of the initial agreement please”
    tell them you won’t be paying them anything until they locate the CCA agreement.

without the CCA, the debt is not enforceable so they can’t take you to court or do anything apart from writing the odd letter saying “Even though your debt is currently unenforceable you still owe it so we would like you to make a payments arrangement.” You can file these letters or put them in the bin.

Obviously read all letters, don’t bin without reading!

Of those debts, the credit card debts are VERY old and all pre 2007. There is a very good chance that CCA can’t be found for any of them.

A CCA doesn’t apply for the overdraft, which is only £700, so tackle that one if it ever appears.

A CCA does apply for the NR loan – that is obviously the biggest problem if it does pop up and they can find the CCA. But if you can avoid paying anything to the others, help from a family member may stretch to 10% offer to that one?
    Gemma says

August 25, 2020 at 8:32 pm
    Hi Sarah,

I am following up to my previous post regarding PRA Group. I submitted the CCA request to which they returned my £1 fee aand advised that they would investigate my account. I then received a further letter from them enclosing an illegible document that had mine and my ex partners signature on advising that this is what they had found and they currently deemed the debt unenforceable but would continue to investigate. I have since received two phone calls from them chasing the debt where I have reminded them of their letter stating the debt was unenforceable. On the second call I received I was put on hold where I was then advised that they now have documents that they can provide. I have now received a letter from them advising that they enclose a copy of my statement, application and credit agreement as requested. They have further advised that my account will be put on hold for two weeks where they will then contact me again by call or letter to discuss the matter further. The letter does not state that they now deem the debt enforceable.

Enclosed with the letter are 3 statements from MBNA from 2012 which is around the time the account defaulted. There is a copy of an application form which I assume was completed online as there is no handwriting on it, apart from a signature on the top left corner of the document that is neither mine or my ex partners, I can confirm that my details on it are correct though. They have also enclosed a bad photo copy of a signature form that has mine and my ex partners signature on (most of the document is illegible though) and they have also enclosed a CCA Terms and Conditions which is just one sheet of paper, again a bad photocopy which is mostly illegible. There is a reference at the bottom right of these terms which looks like it could be F091 11/03, it’s too distorted to be exact. Could this be a reference to the date that the terms were produced? I am asking as the signature form was signed July 2003 which could possible mean that the terms do not apply? I am really unsure if what they have provided constitutes a CCA request and this now means that the debt is deemed enforceable?

Many thanks

Gemma

Tags: None

Bump for help
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi, is anyone able to offer any help please? PRA are calling me daily and I’m not sure where I stand.

Many thanks

Comment

If they are calling every day then politely tell them to write to you, if not then you may take action for harrasment and ask them to see Harrison v British Gas I think it was.

Comment

Hi - It would be necessary for me to take a better look at the 'agreement'. Can you please email to kate @ legalbeaglesgroup. com
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you, I will email it to you shortly

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
              If they are calling every day then politely tell them to write to you, if not then you may take action for harrasment and ask them to see Harrison v British Gas I think it was.
              Ferguson v British Gas mate, there also Roberts v Bank of Scotland and also Harrison v Link Financial
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks - I’ve received the agreement and terms. What is the application sheet you mention in your first post. No handwriting that you assume you signed online? The application is 2003 looks in person or by post, very unlikely to be internet, but who knows? The legibility of what you’ve sent through is very borderline.
                "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi, I have sent another email and added the application form and statement for your information.

Many thanks

Comment

Hi - thanks for sending that through. The Information sheet they have sent through stands out to me as not from the same time period. I’m on my phone so haven’t been able to check properly, but the way back machine archive does not show the .co.uk domain of MBNA working properly in 2003, it exists but it reroutes to .com and is MBNA Europe. That sheet has web addresses and phone numbers which can probably be evidenced as significantly later than 2003. Interesting! pt2537 I’d like you to take a look at these docs if you have time? Your opinion on legibility would also be interesting.

Comment

Cant be online in 2003, if it was then its automatically unenforceable as it wasn't til 2005 that you could electronically sign an agreement
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Hi PT2537, would your response still apply if the application process was partially completed online then paperwork was sent out to be signed and returned? I am not sure if you seen the documents that I sent to Kate by email to query if they fulfil a CCA request?

Many thanks

Comment

No. A signed agreement is what is required. If you signed a paper document that is all that is needed

Comment

pt2537 I’ve forwarded the documents to your email for your opinion on them.

Comment

Hi there

Ok well the document in my opinion fails to meet the legibility requirements. It is not in my opinion easily legible thus not compliant with s78(1) CCA 1974

Secondly it is incomplete, there are supposed to be more terms, now if PRA Group stand by this document as being "the agreement you signed" then it may be arguable that the agreement is improperly executed. These arguments are quite complicated and would need some input from you on what you did or did not sign back in 2003.

It seems to me the application process was started on line, but was completed with a written signed agreement so that doesnt help you im afraid

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X