• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LPA Certificate Provider Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPA Certificate Provider Question

Hello

My first time and post here:
    My aunt is sadly in the early stages of dementia and my mother (her sister) has been advised that we will need to assist her with her future requirements via an LPA for when she no longer has the capacity.

As her nephew, I have been asked by my aunt to be an 'Attorney' on the LPA with my brother as the 'Replacement Attorney'.

As my aunt has a social phobia, she only has two close friends beyond family.
    As one of those is terminally ill and in hospital, she is naturally not an option, but her best friend is willing to act as the 'Certificate Provider'.

My question is this:
    The rules state: The certificate provider cannot be a member of the donor's family or of an attorney’s or replacement attorney’s family – including husbands, wives, civil partners, in-laws and step-relations.

My aunt was once married, but divorced 40 years ago and the person who is willing to act as the 'Certificate Provider' is her ex husband's cousin who is also her best friend.
    Would that be classed after all this time as a 'step-relation' and therefore making them not eligible to sign as the 'Certificate Provider'?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

I would assume she would be acceptable but if you are unsure ask OPG at customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk or by calling 0300 456 0300

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

I would assume she would be acceptable but if you are unsure ask OPG at customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk or by calling 0300 456 0300
      Thank you.
      They were very helpful and the person is eligible to sign as the 'Certificate Provider'.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Thank you.
        They were very helpful and the person is eligible to sign as the 'Certificate Provider'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X