• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Social Media Slander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media Slander

Can someone please help me, I need a solicitor to write a letter on my behalf (happy to pay)
    I recently moved and whilst looking for a removal company I entered a competition on Facebook for Free Moving for NHS employees. My partner works for the NHS, although at the time he didn’t live with us but was due to move in, and he suggested we enter, which I did, in my name but explaining it was my partner who works for the NHS. No terms and conditions for the competition were published.
    i didn’t win the competition but still asked them to quote. He visited our house, clearly there was no man living there and we informed him of that (me, my sister and my daughter). His quote came with a discount.
    My partner was due to move in with us. Unfortunately a couple of weeks prior to moving my partner had to delay moving and will hopefully be moving in in the next couple of weeks.
    a couple of hours after being moved I received a very rude and upsetting Facebook message from the owner of the removal firm stating that I was a fraud, he had spoken with my neighbours and if I didn’t pay the discount back he would call the police and publicly shame me and take me to court.
    i explained the situation as it was but as he probably knew there was a few damages during the move.
    the amount of damages is far more than the discount so I left it at that.
    he then posted on Facebook on his own page and also on a large community page where I used to live stating my name and my address. This contained very little of the truth but has been shared thousands of times with many many awful and threatening comments.
    i tried to ignore this but he again updated his posts, once again calling my name into disrepute.
    what can I do, help me please.
    Tags: None

Morning Legal folk. Is there anyone out there who can offer any advice? Thanks

Comment

There is little you can do.
      You can try getting BookFace to remove the posts, but in my experience they won't.
      If you have deep pockets you can start a libel action, but not really recommended
      The police might have a word with him if you make a complaint under the Malicious Communications Act 1988, as well as under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997

The best action is to ignore him and not look at the posts.
      Your true friends will stand by you, any others you are well rid off!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X