• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New members looking for help regarding help with Dads house during probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New members looking for help regarding help with Dads house during probate

Hi my Dad died recently and my sister and myself are his executors, then along with our children are his beneficiaries. My sister lives in Qatar and I live an hour's drive away from my Dad's. For his household insurance to be valid, somebody needs to inspect the house on a weekly basis, which would fall to me as my sister is abroad. I didn't want that responsibility, so I came up with 3 options, one shut the house up completely and pay somebody to inspect it on a weekly basis, (Very worried the house would deteriorate quickly as it's an old house), pay for somebody to live there as a caretaker, or have a member of the family move in whilst the house is going through probate. We can't rent the property out as it wouldn't meet all modern regulations,and the only member of the family who can practically move in are my daughter and son in law, who have agreed to pay all the bill .* *My sister was ok with the idea until she found out my daughter has cats and she is allergic to cats. She is now insisting that wherever she comes over from Qatar, that she has the right to stay at my Dad's house, (she owns a house in the UK where she could stay), that my daughter and son in law will have to move out for as long as she wanted the house for and that they would have to pay for the house to be professionally cleaned before they arrived to get rid of any traces of the cats. The only reason she is demanding this is because as she says I can have family dos at my Dad's house and she can't. Can somebody help about who is right and who is wrong.*
    Tags: None

IMO your sister is like a dog in a manger.. she can't bear the idea of someone having something she can't, even when she doesn't need it.

Executors are meant to act in unison and agree.
    I doubt your daughter & sil would agree to act as caretakers, but have to move out at your sister's whim, let alone pay for deep cleaning.
    So you either have to persuade your sister what is in her own best interests, or chose another route.

If you were to do the visiting your costs would be chargeable against the estate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X