• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Terrace house guttering-who is responsible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrace house guttering-who is responsible?

Hello. I live in a mid-terrace house. Row of four houses (built 1905). All houses share the same guttering (to the front of the properties), there is only one down-pipe which is attached to my property. The gutter is old and the gauge not manufactured anymore so new joins can not be obtained. The gutter is leaking onto the front porch of my property at the join between two sections of the gutter. I have had this repaired at my expense several times over the years but now feel the gutter needs to be replaced as no permanent repair can be achieved. As my property has the only down-pipe am I responsible for all the four properties guttering and the cost involved in replacing it, or, can I replace the gutter and down-pipe but ask the neighbours to pay for one quarter of the price ie for each property. If they refuse to do this am I entitled to give them notice the gutter and down pipe on my property need to be replaced and they will then have no assess to the down-pipe and will need to finance replacement of their own gutters and install individual down-pipes.* I can not find any information regarding this issue in the title deeds of my property.*
    Tags: None

I think it will be talking to the other owners and coming to an agreement that the guttering is old, is causing problems and need renewing.* Get a quote from a reputable tradesman and split the bill in 4.* It will be cheaper as a bulk job rather than each individually.

Did similar with my neighbour in semi, one firm did both and split cost between us.* The guttering was was cast iron and makes a helluva clatter when it falls down, especially at night.

Comment

The other properties have an easement to run water from their gutters into your gutter and then into the down pipe located entirely on your property. You merely have the burden.

You can't block off their gutters without running the risk of being sued for trespass

It is one of those anomalies that the Common Law imposes no obligation on the owners of the easement to contribute to maintenance. All such costs fall on the servient land owner, which is what you are in this case. as it is your land that serves their land by having the shared down pipe against your wall.

As the damage is being caused entirely to your property, you have to start remedying the situation,but you will need to bear all costs, as your neighbours seem unlikely to worry about good relations which in the old days may have resulted in a voluntary contribution of assistance.

Is it not possible to renew the guttering on your property by just leaving a longish rum of the existing guttering in place and positioning new larger guttering underneath?
      Or search the internet or salvage yards for that particular gauge and profile
      Or negotiate with neighbours

Comment

I'm sure the tar heels will be happy to come to the UK with a competitive quote

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X