• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selling right to buy property. Dispute over % discount I need to pat back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling right to buy property. Dispute over % discount I need to pat back.

I purchased my house through RTB, ownership started on 18/06/2017.

I want to sell as we need a bigger place. I worked out the following based on when I took ownership of the property...

18/06/2017 to 18/06/2018 is Year 1 of ownership
    19/06/2018 to 18/06/2019 is year 2 of ownership
    19/06/2019 to 18/06/2020 is year 3 of ownership
    19/06/2020 to 18/06/2021 is year 4 of ownership

Which should mean from 19/06/2020 I am into my 4th year of ownership, so I have to pay back 40% of the discount. As per the official government guidance found here: https://www.gov.uk/right-to-buy-buyi...ling-your-home

However the housing association have come back to me and said the following....
    =========================
    I had to go into a meeting yesterday, sorry. Please find the below:-
    • 80% of the discount in the second year 18.6.19 – 18.6.20
    • 60% of the discount in the third year 18.6.21 – 18.6.22
    • 40% of the discount in the fourth year 18.6.23 – 18.6.24
    • 20% of the discount in the fifth year 18.6.25 – 18.6.26
    So if you wanted to sell in June this year you will have to pay back 60%.
    The amount you pay back depends on the value of your home when you sell it.
    Hopefully, this gives you an easier understanding.
    Regards,
    =======================

I am almost 100% sure this is incorrect what they are saying. For one the dates are all over the place. Can anybody tell me who I need to go to get this cleared up?

Lee

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X