• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Subject Access Request Refused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject Access Request Refused

Hi, I am a foster carer who has tried to obtain information held about me from a local authority, that was used to prevent me adopting a child that was in my care. Two local authorities and the MPS were involved and all are withholding the vast majority of information, despite the ICO agreeing with me that they are withholding information. I want to force the three data* controllers to comply with the ICO, and want to get a court order to make this happen. It* has taken 6 months for me to get to this point. How do I obtain a court order? I live in London*
    Tags: None

Hi, sorry to hear about this!

When you say the ICO agreed with you that they are withholding information do you mean you asked the ICO for a compliance assessment?*
    *If so, and the ICO have found that the data controllers are not complying with the DPA, they may ask the data controllers themselves to comply and in some cases may order the organisation to do so. So it is worth asking the ICO for a compliance assessment if you have not already done so and seeing if they can take any action before you proceed with a court order.

However, even though the ICO can enforce a SAR they cannot award compensation for non-compliance. Only a court order can do this. so if you are seeking compensation as well as compliance a court order would be the route to take.

Have you checked that the data controllers are not subject to any exemptions which would allow them to refuse the SAR? As one of the exemptions relates to social work, so I am not sure if this would apply or relate to your situation. *This is worth double checking before going to court. It is important to note that just because the ICO agrees does not mean the court will enforce a SAR.

You can make an application to the court pursuant to s7(9) DPA alleging breach of the subject access rules and seeking an order for compliance.

The courts have said they will consider a range of factors including:
     the nature and gravity of the data controller’s breach of its s7 obligations;
     the general principle of proportionality;
     balancing the fundamental right of the individual right of
    subject access with the interests of the data controller;
     prejudice to the individual’s rights;
     whether there is a more appropriate route to disclosure (note
    that this does not affect the obligation of the data controller to make disclosure in response to a SAR, but may have an impact on the use of the court’s discretion); and
     where there is an abuse of process or a conflict of interest, this may influence the court not to make an order.

So it would be wise to consider how these factors would relate to your case.

Hope this helps!

I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X