• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ procedure

One of my neighbours has had a CCJ awarded in her favour. The defendant asked for this to be set aside, but this was rejected at the hearing. The defendant then asked if he could appeal this decision. He as now asked my neighbour to accept a much lower payout, which she has so far refused. My question is, what is the time frame (if any) for this to be sorted?
    Tags: None

How much is it for - broadly speaking?

Comment

Roughly £3000.*

Comment

Has the defendant anything approaching that value that can be removed?* does the defendant own the house?* Is it worth it?

If it would be worth sending the bailiffs in then send it up to the High Court and the High Court Enforcement Officers (sheriffs) can handle it.* Contact one the the HCEO companies and they will handle the paperwork for you.

Comment

His Home is valued at £750,000, He also has a business. He claimed to my neighbour that his home was a rented property, but the Land Registry lists him as the owner. He also told her that his vehicles were leased, though that may or may not be true!*

Comment

Does the Land Registry list any charges on it as that may be her best way of dealing with this. I get the distinct impression he won't pay as he knows the system.

Comment

Thank You for your reply. There is a registered charge in favour of;- NatWest Bank Mortgage Centre, Dated August 2017. The property is quite new. I believe you may be correct in assuming that he knows the system, and is trying to avoid payment. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

You have to remember that just because a CCJ has been obtained against someone it is no guarantee the debt willt ever be paid. There are different methods of enforcement some of which have already been touched on. There is another that is worth considering - an Order for Questioning - whereby they can be summonsed to appear - failure to do so could lead to Contempt of Court. A debtor can be questioned about why they have not paid etc. Another could be to freeze their bank account but only do this if you are fairly certain they may have or are due money to the account.

More here https://www.hceoa.org.uk/faqs/other-...of-enforcement

Comment

As previously mentioned, the debtor had said that he would appeal on hearing that his attempt to set-aside the CCJ. Is there a time limit on applying for such an appeal?*

Comment

Think the cost of doing so may put him off plus as far as I am aware he must find a point of law that the Judge failed to use. Normal process to apply is I believe 3 weeks and there again he would have had to have asked for permission to appeal. Others may know more about this than I do.

Comment

Further to previous posts the debtor has now contacted my neighbour to offer a reduced amount in order to settle the debt. I don't think she ought to accept this offer, and she is not happy with it either. She has looked into the High Court Bailiff option but owing to the present situation it seems they are not carrying out their normal duties. Do you think that accepting the reduced amount and asking him to pay the remainder within a set period would be the way to proceed? Or is there a better alternative to pursue? Advice please.

Comment

I would say if the offer is for at least £2.5k then it may be worth considering, otherwise she could leave it until the current situation improves and go ahead with enforcement then. I would would also hazard a guess in that he probably does have the means to pay but is hoping to get a discount. If it is to go to an arrangement then I would also suggest it should be one agreed through the Court.

Comment

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. My neighbour has been in touch this morning to inform me that the debtor has transferred an agreed amount into her bank account to bring an end to the issue. The advice given on this forum was passed on to her for her consideration. The amount received being over that which was considered to be the least she ought to accept. Thank you again and best wishes!**

Comment

I'm pleased to hear it has been reolved to her satisfaction and without any hassles - sometimes worth settling like this. Good Luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X