• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Just got a ccj need help to set aside & defend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a ccj need help to set aside & defend

After years of domestic violence and emotional abuse and control, about 2 1/2 years ago i plucked up the courage to leave my ex partner with my children as i couldnt take anymore and on advice of the police. My ex withheld money and possessions from me and the children we literally left the family home with the clothes we were wearing, checked into a hotel and police advised to contact the council to make a homelessness application, which i did. Throughout the peocess the council accepted duty of care, kept us in the hotel, then moved us to various temporary accommodations. Throughout the process carried out a financial assessment to see if i could afford *to go into private rented accommodation, which i couldn't afford and have confirmation from a housing officer in writing that they agreed i couldn't afford private rent. *However the there were two homeless housing officers who really weren't very helpful and basically said i had to accept a private rent or would discharge duty of care. Even though they knew i couldnt afford it. They wanted my children to help me financially but due *to the family issues over my dv and the stress *went off the rails for a while and although they didnt earn a lot and wouldnt give me any money to help being immature and having no financial awareness and although i explained the gravity of the situation refused to give me any money. Obviously couldn't make them. Throughout i always updated the council reiterating i was struggling and couldnt afford to live in the house. Any way a few months after i was forced to sign the new tenancy i contacted the council and the landlord explained id be moving out due to affordability issues and felt backed into a corner and stupidly returned to my abusive ex, he played on the fact i wouldnt cope alone financially, which i couldn't and have no family to get help from or support as my dad died a few years ago and isolation and dv my ex wouldnt let me have friends. The children went to live with their friends and their partners parents. As didnt want them to go to the family home due to my ex partner behaviour. And if they weren't willing to help me keep us together in the rented by chipping in financially, i couldn't afford to support all of us. When i left i owed a months rent of £1200 the council guaranteed a deposit to the landlord under the coucil deposit scheme. No money changes hands they just guarantee landlord gets money back if needed at the end of tenancy. When i moved out i disputed the money owed in rent as couldnt afford the rent in the first place and was forced into signing the tenancy agreement, and the final balance of rent owing was wrong and added a couple of weeks rent onto the balance when the council and landlord agreed i could move out. I disputed and heard nothing else for the past couple of years. Then yesterday i receive a court judgement at my home (not with my ex anymore as when i returned to the family home domestic violence was worse than ever and finally managed to leave him again, this time for good) i havent received any court papers just this judgement for just under 2k. Can i dispute this and can i within disputing this ccj counter claim the council forced me into the private unaffordable rent knowing i was in a difficult situation and staff contradicting themselves and putting me in the situation. *Sorry for the long post x
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X