• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guarantor loan - in limbo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantor loan - in limbo

Hi everyone, I signed to be guarantor on a loan with an ex girlfriend in 2015. We have been separated over a year and I have been contacted by the loan company saying she has defaulted and I need to pay. This is a student loan company (future finance) that the loan was taken out with. I have challenged the loan with the company and been shot down. I have now challenged with the financial ombudsman who are investigating. My grounds are in a few areas. I was under emotional and financial pressure to sign in 2015. My ex suffered from depression and health issues and this loan was her way of not falling apart, I felt I had to help. Financially I was only income so felt pressure to help. I also believe she should never have been given the loan in the first place due to vulnerability. I am looking for general advice etc but also I have been accused by her of harassment. I am simply trying to get as much info as I can off her. I don’t know how her finances look. How am I to know if she can’t actually pay? She could be lying? She has had a mental and physical breakdown so does not want to hear from me. I am in complete limbo with no info and pressure to pay from the finance company. How much can I push for info and how? Thanks all*
    Tags: None

Sorry, that makes it sound like i have been pestering her. The reality is when I first found out that she has defaulted, I emailed asking to discuss options and she said we could talk in the new year. Then the new year came and I asked again, but she ignored my emails. So I messaged again at the start of February and got the response to never contact her again or else she’d have me done for harassment. I have made contact a total of roughly 5 times in 3 months. I just want to know if she is lying and what her financial problems are and if she will be in a position in the future to start paying again.*

Comment

You can't force it out of her unless a court orders her to do so.

Guarantors are entitled to recover the sums paid by them from the debtor, so if the matter does end up with legal proceedings being issued, then you can join her as a defendant and seek judgment against her based on what is being claimed by the company.

You can either pre-action or post issuing of legal proceedings make an application to the court seeking an order for her to disclose certain information. Either way, it will cost you to get that from her.

If she's said not to contact her again then I wouldn't bother unless or until you are at a stage where you want to involve the court.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, thank you for your time in replying. Really appreciate it. Frustrating position when I have no info from either end and just waiting so this helps a lot. Thank you. I assume trying to get money back from her if I have to pay the Loan off would be some through small claims court? Would you have any advice on things I should be doing now in advance of such a step? Evidence gathering etc?*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X